Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you continue using Student license after graduation?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
redeyes222QCXV5
5772 Views, 6 Replies

Can you continue using Student license after graduation?

Hey everyone. I have acquired the student version of Maya that I acquired since I was at a university around 6 months ago.

My question is, am I allowed to continue to use the student version until it expires even AFTER I graduate? Or must I stop using the license the day I graduate? (I believe my grades will be coming in soon). 

Of course, I would not be using it for commercial work, only independent learning. 

Secondly, if the above is true, is graduation considered the day your grades come in? Or when your ceremony is? Etc. 

I would prefer someone who actually works for Autodesk to help. But would appreciate any feedback. This isn't a question about IF it will work, more so if its the right thing to do (Morally). 

Thanks for the help!

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: redeyes222QCXV5

Hi!

"Participants must study or be employed at a qualified educational institution..."

If you are no longer enrolled you are no longer eligible to use a student license.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/education-program/who-can-join/el...

https://www.autodesk.com/company/terms-of-use/en/general-terms

Message 3 of 7
redeyes222QCXV5
in reply to: mspeer

Now I am so confused. I just called support, and they said it was ok to use even after graduation as long as it was for non-commercial use. Now I don't know what the right answer is...

Message 4 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: redeyes222QCXV5

Hi!

There might be a difference between

"is it OK" or "who cares if the software is used a few months longer, of course only for learning-purposes"

and

the terms.

I can give you only the information from the terms provided by Autodesk and the definition of a student is "An individual person enrolled as a student".

Message 5 of 7
redeyes222QCXV5
in reply to: mspeer

Got ya! Thank you for helping out. 

I went ahead and contacted them through a live chat again because of your answer to help with the confusion, just to be sure. Here is the correct answer, in case you wanted to help anyone in the future. This is quoted from the live chat session, 

"Since you requested your Maya software while you are enrolled in school you can use it until 3/6/2023, we will not deactivate your license. You CAN NOT request a new license if you are not enrolled in school your request will be declined. You can use it until 2023 "

This was after confirming my graduation during the license period. And they still said it is ok to do. 

So basically, you need to be a current graduate in order to obtain the license, however, you can use it until its expiration after graduation. You just can't renew it once you are no longer a student. Which obviously makes sense. 

Both Autodesk staff I talked to said the same thing, so I believe it is accurate. 

Message 6 of 7

Thanks, helped a lot.

Message 7 of 7

@cancontactbernard 

Things have changed since this ticket was started. You not longer get the software on 3 yr licensing. It's only good now for 1 yr at a time. So you have to renew it each year.     M

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report