Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsmax 2017 install corrupt won't uninstall or repair

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
kenzor
5040 Views, 8 Replies

3dsmax 2017 install corrupt won't uninstall or repair

I have a fresh upto date version of windows 10 ( its a clean version i've just spent the last couple of days rebuilding everything )

I installed 3dsmax 2017 and got it up and running

At some point when I tried installing updates everything got corrupted. Now I can't go back and I can't go forward. 

I have to use 2017 because the university I work for won't upgrade to 2018

Other than just deleting files whats the best way to uninstall max2017 ????

Add remove programs hangs or fails 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed... fails

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kenzor
in reply to: kenzor

I have 3dsmax 2018 installed as well and thats all working fine . I really really don't want to mess that installation up

I'm going to try killing max 2017 files by hand then reinstalling.

so far I've found

C:\Program Files\Autodesk

C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\3DSMAX\2017

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\3dsMax 2017

C:\Users\Ken\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\3DSMAX\2017

theres also

C:\Users\...\Documents\3dsMax which I'm not sure what to do with

Any folders I've missed? Is there a way of cleaning the registry ?

Message 3 of 9
Mark.Lancaster

@kenzor

If you remove 3DS MaX 2017 and leave the 2018 version, well you can't install a legacy version of a product when a newer version is there.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 9
kenzor
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I'm sorry that's not true.

I Installed max2018

then I installed 2017 

I used the offline installers 

max 2018 and 2017 were working fine until i tried to update 2017

2018 is still fine 

now 2017 is very broken and I need to rebuild it but I'm reluctant to poke around the registry without pro help

Message 5 of 9
kenzor

Ok So I removed all the files from the folders above.

I didn't mess with the registry.

max 2017 was still listed in the win 10 Program list . But I tried giving the main 3ds max 2017 Installer a shot ... and it worked

so .... next I have to figure out how to get it properly patched.

It doesn't help the the 'about 3ds max' dialog is cryptic.

With a fresh install of max 2017 the product version reads 19.0 commercial 

on my win 7 laptop the patch version of 2017 simply reads 19. 0 update commercial  (  so  which of the many updates is that ? )

Message 6 of 9
natasha.l

Hello @kenzor

Welcome back! 

Please conduct the following to conduct a complete uninstall of your product/s: 

1. Conduct a Clean Uninstall (files to remove) of the application & use the MSfixitTool to complete it, it will remove residuals & registry keys for you
  2. Reboot the computer & log in as Administrator 
  3. Clean out the TEMP folder. To open the TEMP folder, type %TEMP% in the address bar of Windows Start Menu and hit Enter (Windows)
  4. Temporarily disable security settings like Antivirus, Firewall & UAC on your Windows operating system
  5. Use the Browser Download Method in your Autodesk Account or via the AVA | Autodesk Virtual Agent (download all the parts)

Keep us posted on this issue. 

Remember to please “Accept As Solution” if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 7 of 9
kenzor
in reply to: natasha.l

Thanks Natasha, I wish I'd found those links you sent before I tried to rebuild things myself.

I'm mostly up and running now. Hopefully all this weirdness won't cause future problems.

I'm glad I didn't delete the license files it meant everything re-authorised cleanly.

The Microsoft fix it tool failed. BUT There is and option to fix stuff using a program ID . It would be great if we new where to find the windows software ID for max in case this happens again.

cheers

- ken

Message 8 of 9
natasha.l

Hello @kenzor

No problem, glad you resolved it. Thank you for coming back to the forum to let us know. 

I have included down below a search conducted on the system for the product code, you can do this for any application. You have the option to enter a product code instead of selecting the product from the drop-down with the MsfixitTool. You would select the "Not Listed" and enter the Product Code.

Message 9 of 9
kenzor
in reply to: natasha.l

Interesting. How did you do the search for the product code? when I right click on the 3dsmax.exe I don't see the same details

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report