Installation & Licensing Feedback Hub
Share your perspective directly with the Product Managers, User Experience Designers, and Engineers to help us create the capabilities that best meet your needs. Autodesk Employees post topics on this forum based on conversations in public forums and inside Autodesk and we invite anyone to reply.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to the Installation & Licensing Feedback Hub

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
StanGoodell
2397 Views, 2 Replies

Welcome to the Installation & Licensing Feedback Hub

Welcome to the Installation & Licensing Feedback Hub. We know that you choose Autodesk products for the power and great experience they bring to your daily work. Installation and licensing sometimes stands between your choice and that experience. 

The Installation & Licensing Feedback Hub is created and moderated by the Product Managers, User Experience Designers, and Engineers that shape how you get your Autodesk software up and running. We are excited about Autodesk’s focus on these important areas and this opportunity to engage you on these influential topics. Your feedback, suggestions, and ideas are crucial to our development process, and this forum will help us include you in it. Members of our team post topics to learn more from you about features, improvements, experiences, and defects. These topics are added based on conversations happening in public forums and inside Autodesk. Your responses to these topics are used to prioritize investment of our business, user experience, and development efforts.

Please follow our Etiquette and Ground Rules for general info on using the forums.

Thanks for your help in improving the Autodesk Download, Install, and Licensing experiences!

Autodesk Installation & Licensing Team

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
gordow
in reply to: StanGoodell

While I think Autodesk Inventor is a superior product to Solidworks.  We have both CAD packages in-house but I prefer Inventor many times over.  We have been using Autodesk AutoCAD then Inventor for over 25 years now.  However, I want to say that the forced switch to the named-user license model is absolutely useless to us, and will make using the software more difficult in some instances.  We have 7 seats on a multi-user network license.  Currently, we only have 3 users, so not being able to get a license is not an issue.  We don't need to track usage.  There is no issue with maintaining a server for the network license, we use it for our Vault and other software using network licensing. 

An exammple of how it will be more difficult to use:  if I have Inventor running at home (lots of that these days with COVID), with many things open, and I realize something is checked out on my machine in the office, I can log onto the machine in the office, pull a license from the pool of available licenses to run Inventor, check in what I need, close the office session, and resume work at home.  With the named-user model, I will have to close my session at home (and all the open files) to be able to run the software on the office machine.  If large companies want the features that come with named-user licensing, provide it and let them be happy.  But don't take away something that works for the smaller users. 

I have a feeling that Autodesk is setting us up for something else down the road.  They did this when we went from maintenance to subscription and now this.  They treated us poorly at that point, costing us tens of thousands of dollars.  We are not a company that sells something, we are a research group at a university.  Our funding is tax dollars and donations.  At least Solidworks gives us a research break in pricing. 

Network licensing works.  I don't understand why Autodesk has to mess with it other that it will help their bottom line, certainly not ours.  That's my feedback. 

gordow

Message 3 of 3
StanGoodell
in reply to: gordow

Hi Gordow,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Internally the total of your concern is shared by a business models team and a licensing team.

My role as the principal designer for our licensing user experience is to make the best possible experience for the license you have been issued. The license in turn is designed to support the business model associated with your purchase. So what I'd like to do is open a topic specific to the related experience concerns you are raising and ask that we dialog there so others can contribute too. I'll refer to this as the "Device Limit Experience".

Then additionally, I encourage you please visit our Subscription Changes forum to participate with those interested in discussing changes to our Autodesk Subscription policies or ask related questions.

Finally, in the off chance you have not looked into this, Autodesk uniquely supports universities. I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but it may be worth checking out: Autodesk for Education

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report