Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrain Contours

Terrain Contours

How about anorher terrain-analysis showing the contour lines of a surface (with ajustable intervals like in civil 3D). A musthave for early planning in my opinion.
9 Comments
F.Classon
Enthusiast

I found a way using the Infrastructure Design Suite.But the way is too tricky: http://autode.sk/1YFTL1q

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

@F.Classon, you can do this already by simply drawing a ROW object across your terrain but I voted for your idea to get this also implemented in the Terrain Theming options!

nzeeben
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

As noted below contours are available inside a Right of Way, Easement or Parcel currently.  Broader support is still needed beyond these.

austin_jephson
Autodesk

Just following up on some of these older Ideas.

As of a few years ago, you can now apply contours to the terrain on your entire model through the 'View settings' panel.  This allows you to set the contour major and minor intervals, adjust contour text, color, line thickness, etc, per view.  It is also running through the shader/graphics system, so it has no impact on performance. 

If you have had a chance to experiment with this, it would be great to hear if it does or does not meet your requirements/expectations.

contours.png

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

@F.Classon @John_DeLeeuw As Austin mentioned, this has been in the product for some time. Please check it out and provide some feedback. 

cdavisPMK3R
Advocate

@ramesh_sridharan The problem is they don't render in the video recording.  

Screenview:

contours.png

Storyboard recording:

video.png

Am I missing something? 

Also the contours if set on do not come back on if the model is closed and reopened. 

austin_jephson
Autodesk

@cdavisPMK3R  I may be mistaken but it looks like this is using the older parcel/RoW contours.  We recently added terrain contours to the view settings, so that you can create a specific view (presentation/engineering view) in order to adjust the terrain opacity, lighting, rendering, etc, but also the terrain contours.If you go into the View dropdown, then hit the Gear icon, that;'ll bring up View Settings.  Then click the Terrain icon at the top of that window to view all of the contour settings.

ViewSettings.png

These contours are view specific, so you can change to another view and have different contour settings, or turn them off altogether.  They also should be rendered properly in storyboard videos.

Let us know what you think and keep posting here if you have any issues.

cdavisPMK3R
Advocate

I cannot separate what surface gets contours with the view method. I don't want the entire model to have contours just the proposed surface.

cdavisPMK3R
Advocate

@austin_jephson any suggestion?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report