Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining Walls

Retaining Walls

It would be nice to cut into a terrain with a retaining wall. And, to also be able to grade from the top and/or bottom of the retaining wall.

11 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please. This is something that has been ignored. Retaining walls are used all the time in Transportation! And if I need one that's in front of an Abutment of a Bridge... I'm out of luck. This should be a simple enough implementation.

ara.ashikian
Autodesk

In the latest release of InfraWorks (2018.1), we extended the support of parametric Inventor based custom component authoring to handle Inventor assemblies, in addition to parts.  This allows for the modeling of more complex components.  In particular, as shown in the image below, typical retaining walls can be included with custom abutment models.  At a later date, we will add the ability to model retaining walls in a dedicated workflow in InfraWorks.  We are investigating different approaches to handle the corresponding grading requirements such that wing walls and retaining walls are accounted for in the modeling.

-Ara

PM / InfraWorks Civil Structures

abut and retaining wall 1.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ara,

A few things that would be great to see with this:

1) Grading connections at both front and back of the RW

2) optional drainage channel that would go to the top, back of the RW, to which the terrain would connect to instead of the wall where applicable.

3) Many retaining walls are standard (Type 1, MSE, Ground Anchor, etc.) would be great to have those standards in Infraworks, with the obvious ability to implement design changes.

4) Sectional detailing of the Walls (rebar, geo-composite drainange, Weep holes, ground anchors, MSE Mats, etc)

Looking forward to this.

Nic.renaudeau
Participant

Capture.PNG

I agree. the way I have been getting around this issue is having super steep fill slopes. But it still doesn't look right.

KPerison
Collaborator

Agreed. General site grading and roadway retaining wall components are a must for any project ... not located in on the prairies! 🙂 

Here's a related post I had regarding the treatment of headslopes for bridges.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/infraworks-ideas/options-for-bridge-end-treatments/idc-p/7047349#M120...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy work around for retaining wall is use thin(9" in my case) building as retaining wall.

Modify exterior finish to sidewalk. New Railroad underpass!

4th Street RR Underpass_Proposed on Road.jpg

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

Our bridge workflow does support parametric retaining walls in InfraWorks. Given the other comments, I would like to get some feedback and how we can enhance this so that both Transportation as well as Site Design workflow can take advantage of this feature.

Hey @ramesh_sridharan. When I originally posted this, I didn't have roadways in mind. I was simply thinking about site design. You being in Austin, I'm sure you see them everywhere from roads to fast food joints needing retaining walls. Let me know if you want more info.

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk

Thanks @ToddRogers-WPM I sure will reach out. 

ChrisRS
Mentor

... and and easily move into C3D.

(As a corridor???) 

tony1978
Collaborator

If you want to do a simple basic rough site development retaining wall that's not part of a roadside grading, without having to build a Civil 3D surface, or create some type of custom parametric part in other software like inventor or Revit, I will  typically will just use the curb component road assembly. Then within the Stack Geometry properties I will set the width. I just showed my user group (DFWBIUG) members how to do this recently.  Let me know if you would like me to create a video. 

2021-05-22_0-11-46.png2021-05-22_0-17-17.png2021-05-22_0-10-03.png

2021-05-22_0-11-03.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report