Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library of Scripts

Library of Scripts

Taking a page from the Dynamo Studio folks, it would be a great idea if the community page for AIW had a list of useful scripts that can be used or loaded into AIW.  For example, if someone wrote a script for creating a full sun/shadow analysis that allowed you to see the time of day and display a heat map of sun hours on the model.  Then everyone using AIW can have access to download and load into their product to maximize the analytical aspects of the data in the model.

7 Comments
C3D_TomR
Collaborator
I think this is a great Idea. Many times I’ve seen posts on how to script certain things in InfraWorks such as a recent one about how to randomize building heights. Having a central storage location that is searchable and accessible by everyone would be a great place to look for scripts like this. It could be as useful and accessible as AKN.
Eric_Chappell
Community Manager

I have started a Collection on the Autodesk Knowledge Network here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/collection/152456?preview 

If anyone has scripts that they've written or come across, please send them to me at eric.chappell@autodesk.com and I'll add them. I'll need the following:

• Name of the Script
  • Short description of what the script does
  • Author of the script
  • The script itself
  • Step by step explanation of how to install and use the script (screen shots are always nice)
  • Image that depicts what the script does
  • Links to supporting information (like discussion board or blog posts about the script)
C3D_TomR
Collaborator

Great idea, @Eric_Chappell, to combine these in a collection. I'll be on the lookout for additional scripts to add.

--Tom

mark_kauffman
Advocate

I am totally down with this. It is important to note, most users DO NOT know Javascript and it is a bit ambitious to expect most users will be able to apply some function via this method. That and the fact that Infraworks is not really well documented on this front. 

I would recommend that IWx is shipped with the most common scripts (top 10) and these be quickly accessible from the Script palette or some other area in the UI. Some good examples of common functions is randomization of a multitude of values; rotation, position, scale, height, color, and texture to name a few. Yes, some of this can be done with the Style Rules, but many cannot. Also, align to vector would be a good script. For instance, you draw a line using the City Furniture tool. Wouldn't it be nice to have a script to align to a vector? 

Anyway, you get the point. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe Autodesk could reward contributions with cloud credits or Autodesk merchandise...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Andrew:

That will be nice "Cloud credits" will do just fine. That seems to be an issue especially when it comes to "Simulation" of traffic, Pedestrians flow on a design in question.

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We will make some effort to bring light to Eric's script location and other things.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report