Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component Road Assembly Editor

Component Road Assembly Editor

The new Component Road Assemblies in InfraWorks 360 offer many new capabilities like the Cross Section Viewer. You can create your own custom Component Road Assemblies but you need some understanding about how the InfraWorks 360 Resources are used in projects and how the ACItem objects are structured in there. This is not an easy workflow and I suggest we need a (graphical) Component Road Assembly Editor.

Our best choices are:

1. Sub Assembly Composer (SAC) as used to create intelligent Civil 3D Roadway Assemblies (official version)
  2. Kameleon Shape Modeler (Inventor technology) to create parametric Roadway Components (still a beta project)

My preference goes defintely to the SAC in which we already have many PKT files available to start using also in InfraWorks 360 and this will probably also provide the best way to exchange Component Roads with Civil 3D Corridor models.

Let me know your thoughts and vote to get this implemented soon!

15 Comments
John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

Here is an example of custom Component Roadway Assemblies I created already for typical Dutch Roadway Sections.

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with John that a graphical type interface for component editing would be quicker and easier to use. Using SACs pkt files would be great, if possible to use them in IW360. This would reduce the work time because an assembly would only have to be made once to work in either c3d or IW, and for the other reasons John has listed.

gchakri
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

gperego
Enthusiast

Great idea Chackri to accept this Idea.
With Pkt available for Component Roads the Dynamic Duo (Civil 3D + InfraWorks) will be much stronger!

Many thanks

Giovanni

gchakri
Alumni

@gperego: Hi Giovanni, appreciate your input and it is our goal to make as much of information as possible to be retained from legacy into the new system. Please stay tuned as we mature our research.

Thanks

~Chakri

Philippe.SLISSE
Contributor

Hello

Effectively it's necessary to be able to create custom assembly components (for exemple the Standard Curb is 0.20m width and 0.2 high or I need one which is 0.10m width and 0.10m height).

Thanks

Philippe SLISSE

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

@gchakri, you accepted the idea on 2-14-2017. Now, within InfraWorks 2019 we still don't have a decent Component Editor. Can you provide a timeframe for this?

KPerison
Collaborator

For some reason I always thought this was possible with Inventor. But seems its purpose is more aimed at individual objects (piers, vaults, etc) not linear items like curbs. 

I would agree that being able to support the import of existing Subassembly Composer content is critical to this workflow.  Many of us users and agencies have invested countless hours creating libraries of custom content for C3D already.  It would be very disheartening if we had to recreate these in IW.

gperego
Enthusiast

I strongly agree with this request.
In Italy we are approaching the important sector of railway design, after several important news in Civil 3D 2019.1.

But InfraWorks can't do his work for this kind of infrastructure, because we have no more Design Roads, where we developed styles to simulate a railways, and we can't create new assemblies for component Roads...
We need help!
Thanks
Giovanni

srhyne
Explorer

I agree with this request. Now that we have version 2020, are we closer to having this feature?

Thanks! 

gperego
Enthusiast

I agree with Srhyne, are we closer or what solution to personalize Assembly in InfraWorks?

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

John,

We discussed this multiple times and the devil is in the details. Let us iron out some details and get back to you.

gperego
Enthusiast

Many thanks Ramesh, we support you to defeat the devil! 🙂

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

Hi @ramesh_sridharan, I wonder if details have been ironed out after all these years. This idea was actually accepted twice now (2016 and 2020) 🙄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report