Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to import Infraworks FBX into Rhino/3DS Max

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
KACY_GREEN
969 Views, 2 Replies

Trying to import Infraworks FBX into Rhino/3DS Max

Basically I am running into issues where whenever I import my infraworks FBX, the import textures come in completely wrong in both programs but different ways... First is Rhino and second is 3DS MaxRhinoRhino3DS Max3DS Max

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
in reply to: KACY_GREEN

I would recommend to re-assign textures in 3ds max or rhino. I keep my imagery as a geotiff file that can be imported in InfraWorks and resaved in regular tiff to be used as a plain texture in 3d software.

InfraWorks tiles everything in a terrain when it has any texture, and the textures after tiling get tiny blurry edges. So I usually export a terrain from IW without any textures and I reassign an initial texture in 3ds max. Only this way assures a good quality of a model for further rendering. 

However this can be too tedious for you and there is a legal issue with using satellite imagery outside the dedicated software.

You could use Surface textures from C:\Users\%User%\Documents\Autodesk InfraWorks Models\Autodesk 360\%Your model number%\Your model name.files\Resources\TerrainTextures\... I have managed to open a file with a *.dds extension while changing it to *.jpg. Thus you could process these tiles in Photoshop if needed

Евгений Ширинян
Message 3 of 3
doben
in reply to: KACY_GREEN

I often bring .fbx into 3dsMax and have seen this as well on almost every import, I assume you're referring to the black squares.. 

To fix that I open the ground.fbm folder to find the correct file then swap the material. This can be a pain if the file is large, it's hard to distinguish from neighboring tiles or if there's lots of missing ones. For me it's usually just a few, for those out of camera range I just leave as-is.

Another issue I often see is the terrain will use a material from either buildings or roads. A reload usually fixes this. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report