Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit model import fails

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
zimm0259
2529 Views, 8 Replies

Revit model import fails

I am having troubles with importing revit models into infraworks. After selecting the revit model to import and having the "uploading file bundle to cloud" data operation take place, the revit file shows up in the data sources. However, when I go in to configure, and click on the 3D Model tab, the preview is blank. I have previously used the "interactive placing" button to place in the model. Usually the revit model shows up and can me moved about for placement during this operation. Now, I just get a little yellow cube. After clicking to place, and clicking close and refresh, a "Data Source Operation Failure" message pops up. It says the refresh failed for the reason "The bounding box of data source is invalid of the data source is empty"

I have previously successfully imported this exact Revit model into this same Infraworks model, so I am not sure what has changed, and why it will no longer import. It appears like the cloud processing of the revit fail may not be working properly/is failing.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: zimm0259

Hi @zimm0259 ,

it sounds as it's a coordinate system issue and the model is scaled the wrong way.
Is it possible to share the Revit model, so I can test on my side?

What version of InfraWorks do you use exactly?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 9
zimm0259
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Hi Karsten,

I have uploaded the revit file for you to give it a whirl. I am using Infraworks version 20.2.22.0. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. The perplexing part is that the method I am using I used before, only now it doesn't seem to work. I did recently duplicate the model from our server to my local hard drive (working from home now) and had thought maybe that had something do do with it. But as test, I constructed a new Infraworks model from scratch by bringing in the survey base and aerial image in all on my local C drive and got the same results/errors when I tried importing the revit file into the new model.  

Thanks,

Justin

Message 4 of 9
Karsten.Saenger

Hi@zimm0259 ,

thanks for the file. I could test it and the Revit cloud import worked fine. The model preview in the configuration was possible and interactive placing as well. I created this screencast that shows how it looks like: https://autode.sk/34Fh6tV

You mentioned you work on a different system or environment. There must be something different. In the moment I don't have an idea, but could you double check the 3D configuration and confirm that you are not using the Navisworks local import option? I have tested the local import as well and it worked also fine, only the textures are a bit different.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 9
zimm0259

Hmmm well that is encouraging that it is working on your end. That tells us that at least its not likely an issue with the Revit model. I looked carefully at the settings visible when you went in to configure the bridge. The only thing I saw different was that my coordinate system when I go in to configure is set to XY-M and yours is   XY-FT. That being said I haven't changed anything (deliberately at least).  Under Application options → Data Import → the "Navisworks based local import" radio button is not checked. It appears that the cloud(default) import method is selected then.

Maybe a long shot idea, but is it possible there is some minimum internet connection speed required for the cloud data import method to work? We have blazing fast fiber at our office, and at home I have OK DSL. Much slower connection though. I didn't know if it could time out or something before it completes whatever is happening on the cloud with the Revit model. Would the Navisworks Manage be another way to to import the revit file? I have the AEC collection subscription and it looks like the Navisworks is something I have access to (not currently installed though)

Thanks for the help

Justin

Message 6 of 9
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @zimm0259 .

Navisworks local import option is not completely the same as the cloud import. With local import you will get the same results as if you loaded the file into Navisworks.
I recommend using the cloud import and only switch to and test local import if you encounter issues with the cloud import results.

I don't believe that networks speed is causing you issue. It should work the same, but a bit slower - and you model is 8 Mb only.

Feet vs. meter only scales the model differently. As long as the preview tab in the data source configuration shows the model, you can be sure that the model can be imported. 

If you have Navisworks installed, you could test if the Revit model can be loaded there.

Where is you InfraWorks model located at all? Is it the default C: drive in your Windows user folders or did you select any other drive or path?

Could you please send the InfraWorks log files from path %AppData%\Roaming\Autodesk\Autodesk InfraWorks\logs after you tried to import the Revit file and it failed?

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 9
zimm0259

Hi Karsten,

I have the Infraworks model in a folder on my desktop. The original model (that was working/allowing me to import revit files) was on folder on our office server.

I have uploaded the error log, and a screen snip of error message I get after an import attempt.

Thanks again for the help,

Justin

Message 8 of 9
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @zimm0259 ,

thanks for the log files.
There are basically two errors in the log:

• warn: Could not load SFF file: Resources/3D Models/04eb3819-881c-4dfc-b002-aca4053ddbf9/162ft 2 span prestressed beam bridge with parapet.sff
  • error: Failed to open lmv file: C:/Users/jzimmerman/Desktop/job files temp/7713.05 (Wagon Wheel Phase 3)/preliminary bridge concepts/local infraworks model new/Wagonwheel 3 with survey feasibility.files/Resources/Translations/efdab5f2-1514-4f2d-a85e-2c0234f1d33b/output/Resource/3D View/{3D} 362723/{3D}.svf

The first error is a bit confusing as it appears for another bridge data source "162ft 2 span prestressed beam bridge with parapet".

The second error is about an "lmv" file and I don't know how to read that error exactly. Usually, a LMV file has something to do with viewing the model online on Bim360.

The common thing in both errors is that the file paths and names exceed the max. allowed numbers of characters. There is a Windows limitation of 256 characters.
Can you please copy/move your complete model to another folder with shorter path and re-test if it's working then?

See also: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Filename-length-causes-model-errors-in-InfraWorks

Best Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 9 of 9
zimm0259

Success! I duplicated the model to a folder on the C drive and kept things as short as possible and it brought it revit model in with no trouble at all. That must have been the problem. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report