Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Builder only BING not Google maps

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1494 Views, 9 Replies

Model Builder only BING not Google maps

Hi,

I know that for Infraworks 2014 the model builder would read from Google. In version 2017 it will only read data from BING, is there any way to change the data source back to google? In google earth you can see more detailed imagery and surface models as those in BING. Is there maybe any workaround in building the model from Google?

Thanks a lot.

Carlos Montellano

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately not. Is it because Bing is using "out of date" data?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM

You can always download the imagery and manually attach it instead of using the Model Builder.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

The imagery is only useful if the terrain upon where it´s displayed is correct. In this casee, Bing maps are outdatet and therefore also the terrain. Importing new imagery wouldn´t solve anything if the terrain is not correct. It´s even funnier because even if in the company there is google earth pro, we cannot use it for model builder.

Anyway...thanks for your help. 

Message 5 of 10
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous

why do you think that InfraWorks 2014 Model Builder reads data from Google? To my knowledge this has never been the case.

Model Builder has always used Bing aerial map data and free SRTM elevation data and OSM data for the content.

You can always use you own data sources, if you need to use Google Data you can save your AOI with the help of a 3rd party application and add it to you InfraWorks model. There are some Civil 3D 3rd party add ins that can be used to load Google Data into Civil 3D, for example.

For many parts of the world you have the option to get much better and accurate elevation data (i.e. LIDAR) either for free or with a fee, from external sources.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 6 of 10
Matt__W

Just throwing this out there....

Keep in mind that using Google Earth imagery in InfraWorks may be a violation of the GE EULA and therefore considered "stealing" if you're using it for commercial purposes - I.E. making money.

https://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 7 of 10
scott.fleming27

I thought it has always been BING maps, due to the Autodesk / Google relationship which to be fair.....is a shame!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Yes, BING has many places where their information is more than 3 years old. It´d be nice that Autodesk tried a little bit harder to play nice with Google.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

After researching i found it to be true. As I had my first approaches to Infraworks (not as a software user) I was given the wrong idea that it was Google Maps info. Sorry for the mistake.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Matt__W

Yep, I know. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report