Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Surface OBJ or FBX Georeferenced into Infraworks Model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Chuck_pietra
596 Views, 3 Replies

Mesh Surface OBJ or FBX Georeferenced into Infraworks Model

More and more common to get obj or fbx meshes from the drone/scanning team. Using Context capture to process photos point cloud and output to meshes.  I understand that the obj/fbx format is not naturally georeference smart.  Are people manually placing mesh tiles ? Bentley Context Capture ( tool we use for data processing ) does assign a coord system to meshes which is in an xml that infraworks ignores completely.  A coord system is in the workflow from the initial scan forward but Infraworks wants you to manually place it when you import to AIW model.

Any workflows that will smarten up the obj/fbx with a recognizable world file before we get to the Infraworks step so correct placement is automatic ?  Thx

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

@Chuck_pietra FBX file with associated POS file should position at right location automatically. OBJ file needs the offset entered from POS file in IW data source UI to position it in the right location.

Regards,

Ramesh S
Product Manager - Infrastructure Solutions

Ramesh.Sridharan@autodesk.com

Ramesh Sridharan
Product Manager
Message 3 of 4

Hey Ramesh  I would prefer the FBX .  The xml file created with the fbx looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ModelMetadata version="1">
<!--Spatial Reference System-->
<SRS>EPSG:6535+6360</SRS>
<!--Origin in Spatial Reference System-->
<SRSOrigin>209658.1557,1063419.814,0</SRSOrigin>
<Texture>
<ColorSource>Visible</ColorSource>
</Texture>
</ModelMetadata>

The EPSG is NY State Plane West. I don't believe AIW sees this file and uses it. I assume I would assign that coordsys in Infraworks on import also assuming the data is located properly there.  When I do that the data comes in at some unknown location. That xml is a bentley thing .  You're saying it should just fall in naturally. Something is not right because it doesn't

Message 4 of 4

@Chuck_pietra You can enter the values as X and Y offset in Data Source window and refresh. That might position at its location.

Regards,

Ramesh S
Product Manager - Infrastructure Solutions

Ramesh.Sridharan@autodesk.com

Ramesh Sridharan
Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report