Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infraworks Surface not showing in Civil 3D

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1058 Views, 7 Replies

Infraworks Surface not showing in Civil 3D

Hi All

I recently tried to migrate a surface model from Infraworks 2021.2 to Civil 3D 2021, but none of my grading surfaces created in Infraworks shows up in C3D. I can see the proposed surface in the prospector tab of C3D, but it is not showing in the model space. I have changed the surface style to see if that would have an effect but no luck.

All other objects such as the existing ground surface, pipe networks and component roads are visible once the migration to C3D is done.  If I export its same model to fbx and open that in Navisworks, I can see the grading surface, but since the "import fbx" functionality has been dropped from C3D, this is not very helpful.

Anyone that can maybe assist me with this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous ,

I assume you mean "grading area", right?

These should appear as "AIW proposed ground" in civil 3D after you imported the InfraWorks model.

Can you send some screenshots to better understand your issue?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Karsten.Saenger 

Yes, I am referring to "grading areas". Please see the screenshots below of what the model should look like (image from Infraworks) and images of what it currently looks like in C3D.

Image of proposed grading area in Infraworks:

Infraworks ModelInfraworks Model

Image of the " Refine Selection" settings in C3D:

Refine Selection.png

Image of imported Infraworks model in C3D:

Grading Areas Imported.png

Image of "AIW_Proposed_Ground" surface properties:

Proposed Ground Style.png

I hope this makes my original question a bit more clear.

Cheers

Message 4 of 8
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous ,

thanks for the screenshots.
Did you create the grading areas in InfraWorks or did you load a data source and assigned gradig area as feature class?

There is a difference in behavior if you load the data in Civil 3D depending on how the grading area was created.

If created in InfraWorks, the grading are appears as "Proposed Ground" surface in Civil 3D.

If loaded with data source, the grading area is merged with "Existing Ground". You should see the border of the grading area in the triangulation.

Grading_Areas_InfraWorks.png

Grading_Areas_in_Civil_3D.png

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Hi @Karsten.Saenger 

Thanks for the explanation. I have a similar understanding of the different "types" of grading areas.

I have created the grading areas in my model within Infraworks. So if I am correct, they should show up as separate surfaces in C3D?

image.png

Cheers

Message 6 of 8
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous ,

correct, I'd expect to see them in the proposed surfaces.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

As you can see @Karsten.Saenger (from the screenshots in my previous post), that is not the case hence the reason for this conversation. 

Thanks for your effort in trying to assist. I really appreciate it, but it would seem that this is potentially a bug or a problem with the model itself.

Cheers

Message 8 of 8
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can take a look at your model and try to find an explanation if you want, please let me know.
To share the model, you can either upload it to BIM 360 and get me access it or you could create a zip file of the model.sqlite and model.files folder and upload that single zip file to a shared drive. I can share a OneDrive folder with you if you want.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report