Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import CAD Data Without MapExport

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sduffin
280 Views, 5 Replies

Import CAD Data Without MapExport

Is there a way to import CAD data into various Infraworks data styles (buildings, coverages, barriers, roadways, etc.) without first exporting to a GIS format such as SDF or SHP?  I know you can do a terrain overlay but that is not very precise and it doesn't give you flexibility to stylize the data.   It would be great if I could attach to a drawing, pull out say closed polylines on a specific layer, stylize those as necessary, etc.  This would then give the ability to refresh the data without having to export.  I would envision setting up separate layers for the data and then pulling in as necessary.  This may not be possible but hey Infraworks does lots of cool things so it is within the realm of possibilities!

Thanks for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: sduffin

Export to IMX on the Output tab in Civil 3D.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 6

Hi @sduffin ,

exporting IMX from Civil 3D only works for Civil 3D objects.
If you have polylines or polygons, I think the only possible way is to work with databases and connect to them in InfraWorks.

Watch this video from @ToddRogers-WPM to get an overview about the concept: SQL Server Spatial and InfraWorks 360 - YouTube

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 6
sduffin
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Interesting concept!  I will have to further play around with this.  I assume I would need to create a new SQL database connection in a CAD drawing and then export the various layers of my drawing to that database which will then provide the connectivity to the data in IW.  

I am not a SQL guy so I may have to learn a few things to use this approach such as setting up the initial database to take 2D CAD linework.  Any suggestions on resources to learn these basics?  Or does someone already have a standard SQL database that can be shared that can take on the basic 2D linework?  New territory for me but I am willing to learn.

How about putting this on the general Infraworks Roadmap where you can connect to a CAD drawing and import by layer?

Thanks for the input! 

Message 5 of 6
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: sduffin

I like your suggestion for the Roadmap. I did not set up the SQL server database. However, you can find some good stuff on YouTube on how to set one up. You will need a "server" that will host the database. It can be virtual machine. Maybe the below will help you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WDP_aKnFSU

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 6
sduffin
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks for the reference material!  I will have to jump into this later down the road but I do appreciate the time you took to provide input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report