Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve Interpolation Issue (Planning Road to Component Road results in sharp/weird PVIs)

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
salanga6JJ6L
271 Views, 5 Replies

Curve Interpolation Issue (Planning Road to Component Road results in sharp/weird PVIs)

Hello,

Project Details; I am using InfraWorks 2024 and created a road shapefile in QGIS, both use the exact same coordinate system. I am not using model builder.

QGIS.png

Issue: Shapefile Planning Road to Component Road (Curve Interpolation Problem?)

I think there is a curve interpolation problem when using shapefile planning roads. When I hand draw and drape planning roads then convert to a compenent road; the road has perfect PVIs, even with a closely spaced vertices.

In the attached images, illustration 1 and 2 shows how badly InfraWorks converts shapefile planning roads into component roads. The 3rd image shows perfect PVIs when hand drawing planning roads.

Is there a way to convert shapefile planning roads that have good PVIs? I already spent time tracing in QGIS and I do not want to again hand draw in InfraWorks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lim.wendy
in reply to: salanga6JJ6L

Hi 

Thank you for submitting your question in our discussion forums. I see you are visiting as a new member of the InfraWorks forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community! 

It seems like you're encountering some issues with curve interpolation when converting shapefile planning roads into component roads in InfraWorks. If you have access to Civil 3D, you could try importing the shapefile into Civil 3D and then checking the properties.

Also, take a look at this support article on importing SHP files into InfraWorks.

If the suggestions helped you, please hit the "Accept Solution" button, as it helps make the solution easier to find for others who might have the same issue. Knowing which topics are solved or not can also help our many users find the questions that still need to be answered. It’s also a great way to say thank you and give recognition to whoever helped you.

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 6

Hi @salanga6JJ6L ,

InfraWorks converts PVI-based planning roads to tangent-based component roads. I think it's not possible to build tangent curves that exactly look the same as the PVI solution.

How about importing the roads to Civil 3D first and convert them to alignments. You have more options for alignment geometry in Civil 3D. Once built correctly, you can import the alignments to InfraWorks.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 6

salanga6JJ6L_1-1717488987960.png

Is there is a way to do multiple best fit alignments at one time in Civil 3D?

There's more than 150 lines that need to be converted. I can select multiple entities but it creates 1 alignment that is messed up.

Message 5 of 6

Hi @salanga6JJ6L ,

I think you can run a batch conversion after creating a Dynamo script for it.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 6 of 6

Hi @salanga6JJ6L , looks like you’re using Qgis. This allows you to perform Interactive smoothing using the Simplify Feature tool. Maybe simplifying some points by your polyline could help you in Infraworks converting the planning roads. 

It  isn’t possible build tangent curves throughout PVIs planning roads, but you can can try something more similar simplifying the number of points/PVIs in your shapefile before import into infraworks.

I hope it works

my best regards

Paulo Santos | BIM Expert | LinkedIn | Contatos |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report