Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug or Design? Importing LandXML and using Position offset

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Haider_of_Sweden
596 Views, 6 Replies

Bug or Design? Importing LandXML and using Position offset

Could you please confirm with me whether this is a bug (to be reported to Autodesk) or if this is working by design.

I provided all the files needed to try this out.

The main problem is that I have a LandXML file which I need to move to a certain X Y position to be on its right place. It doesn't work.

These are the tests I did and the result

Coordinate System: SWEREF-99-18-00

• Civil3D with the surface located at 156850,6568917 (X,Y): works
  • Civil3D with the surface located at 0,0. In Infraworks, I set CS to XY-M and position CS to SWEREF-99-18-00 and X:156850, Y:6568917: works
  • LandXML with the surface located at 156850,6568917 (X,Y): works
  • LandXML with the surface located at 0,0. In Infraworks, I set CS to XY-M and position CS to SWEREF-99-18-00 and X:156850, Y:6568917: does NOT work - Why not???

Here are the data files attached

• Infraworks project: you can use this to add the data sources below.
  • Civil DWG files: as mentioned above. One at 0,0 and one at its correct position
  • LandXML files: as mentioned above.

Labels (4)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi @Haider_of_Sweden ,

I will test your workflow and let you know what I can find.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 7

Hi @Haider_of_Sweden ,

it took me some time to fully get the issue, but in the end I can understand it and recreate it on mys side.

My assumption at the moment is that a terrain data source cannot be moved/shifted in the data source configuration. In InfraWorks the terrain is key for everything, you need to have terrain available to drape thing etc. So, if you import terrain, why should it be shifted, why isn't it at the correct location already?

If you import the terrain that is embedded in a Civil 3D DWG, you actually don't shift the terrain, but the DWG file.

I will need to contact the development team to confirm or correct my assumptions. Once I get news, I will come back to you.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 7

Thanks @Karsten.Saenger  for taking your time.

It I understand your thinking. But keep in mind that there _is_ a terrain that we can drape this LandXML on.

Second thing that made me wonder why this didnt work, is that the LandXML that is located out there at 56850,6568917 could be moved with offset. So why not move the one at 0 to 56850,6568917 as well?

Third. It seem like you _can_ position it on that spot at 56850,6568917, see screenshots

.. browsing the file

Haider_of_Sweden_0-1634232024535.png

Coordinate System XY-M, then Position CS SWEREF, then Interactive Placing

Haider_of_Sweden_1-1634232030823.png

We can see the bounding box. This in particular gave me hope 🙂

Haider_of_Sweden_2-1634232038749.png

Here we can see the confirmation, the coordinates are quite much 56850,6568917

Haider_of_Sweden_3-1634232049901.png

.. but now things start to happen. We see artefacts. Could it be caused because we moved this Terrain this far from origo?

Haider_of_Sweden_4-1634232058324.png

and finally, when turning on the visibility, categorize the ground surface and pressing Apply, everything disappears.

The camera hasn't moved or so - once I erase the faulty LandXML, everything gets back.

Haider_of_Sweden_5-1634232065480.png

The reason why I would want this to work is simply that this option among all the other working option is yet another convenient one. Maybe I work in a software where your terrain is close to 0,0 because of the software's limitation. Being able to take that terrain and placing it with Interactive Placing would therefor be great! 🙂

Message 5 of 7

Hi @Haider_of_Sweden ,

you raise good points and I agree that it smells like a bug or unexpected beavior for data source.

I forwarded the issue to the development team for clarification and let you know about the outcome.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Haider_of_Sweden ,

our development team took a first look at this issue with the LandXML terrain file behavior and confirmed that the rendering of the data should actually work. They will further investigate for a solution.

One suggestion for a possible workaround could be to use a custom coordinate system that applies the shift automatically. However, I'm aware that the use of custom CS might create some issues, for example, if you want to share the InfraWorks model with others you need to make sure everyone has the custom CS on his system.
How to set up a local coordinate system with an affine transformation in Civil 3D or Map 3D 

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 7

Thank you @Karsten.Saenger for taking this further to the dev-team, 

Also, thanks for pointing out that there is a way to create a local coordinate system. I have been wondering about that.

However, I think you "solved" my main issue here, the question whether or not my XML behaved by design or a bug.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report