Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate current view 90 deg or desired angle

Rotate current view 90 deg or desired angle

So far I am able to rotate current view 90 degree clock or counter clockwise using the cube in the right upper corner. This works only if the the specific plane match standard view.   When I use "LOOK AT" and select any face I want to work on in CAM or CAD environment, it is not viewed always as I want it or how I feel is easier for me to work on.

It would be nice to add maybe option, maybe icon or shortcut to be able to rotate current view  90 deg or any desired rotation (index), 90 deg or 30 or 1 deg .. or rotate to align selected edge or geometry to horizontal or vertical line..

I have attached below few screenshots to show what is on my mind.

Thank you

Marek2017-06-14_123011.gif2017-06-14_122734.gif2017-06-14_122601.gif

5 Comments
kward101
Contributor

There's probably a better way, but you could select the desired geometry and click Look At to align the view. Or, for more frequent use, create Named Views and toggle them from the Browser. To do > select the desired geometry (face, sketch, etc.) > Look At > zoom (only, no rotation) the view to suit > R-Click Named View (top of Browser) > New Named View. This adds the view to the list w a generic name.

The ViewCube 90d, 45d & iso rotation tic/corner marks (displayed when in an orthographic view AND hovering the cursor over the ViewCube) are cool, but only work from the ortho faces.

Most CAD has incremental rotation, adjustable in preferences and with a short cut to the keyboard and/or CAD/Game/3D mouse.

I cruised the forum, but didn't find an answer. It's probably on the IdeaStation list for development. It would be nice.

Hope that helps, Ken

Marek_B
Advocate

Ken,

I know that I can use "Look at" to set view perpendicular to the viewer. but my problem is that I cannot rotate it in the "screen" plane, clock or counter clock wise.

It is not always convenient to work with the orientation system select and I do not know how to control it. 

Thanks

Marek

Marek_B
Advocate

Ken,

Named views are not available in CAM environment, or I cannot find it.

kward101
Contributor

Ah. Not sure if this helps, but if it's important to get the body/component aligned in the viewer, you could create your Named Views in Modeling, then when in CAM flip back to Modeling, select your Named View then flip back to CAM and you would be oriented. A workaround compared to incremental rotation from the arrow keys, but only a few clicks away.

I'm no expert, but I don't see anything in Scripts/Add-Ins or the API Object Model (Application Programming Interface list of commands in the back end) to control view that way either.

It would be nice.

bretv
Enthusiast

I would also find this to be a helpful feature.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report