Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join line/curve segments into a single entity in sketch

16 Comments
scottmoyse
Mentor

We definitely need a Fusion equivalent of the Polyline Edit (Join All, within a tolerance) command that exists in AutoCAD.

maritza.ga
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

tsr9f
Community Visitor

The lack of this feature in Fusion360 creates a major and unnecessary time sink currently in my workflow. Would much appreciate a fix!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just started with F-360 as my first CAD program ever, and this is literally one of the first things I've wanted/needed to do while making my second sketch.  I'm amazed this isn't a feature, let alone one that is "future consideration"

MetalDawg
Advocate

Even the archaic software that comes with a PlasmaCAM has a "join line segment" feature.  I love the software, but this would make it much more user-friendly.  I just spent 18 hours (total time) going through more than 3000 lines.  If I knew how to program I would have spent the time making a feature for you!

archebyte
Participant

1. export logotype from Illustrator to svg

2. import into Fusion360.

3. Extrude (Great!)

4. Apply fillet.  (Oh, no I'm sorry, you have many line segments).

Huh?

Surely there is a workaround? I can't bevel a an imported logotype?

archebyte
Participant

Here's another basic one. 

1. Create large circle. Extrude.

2. Open a sketch on the face. Create spline shapes (several ovals; or one and circle pattern repeat)

3. Extrude cut them out of the disc.

4. Create offset plane away from the body.

5. Open a new sketch on this new plane.

6. Choose Project (P). Select the spline shapes to project onto your new sketch

7. Close sketch.

8. Attempt to select new projected sketch entity for extrusion. (Oh, no I'm sorry, there's a huge number of line segments that aren't joined at the points).

Huh?  Ok how do I join the line segments to extrude?  Sorry, open a new sketch on the same plane and trace over it with a new spline. 

Huh? 

This is an amazing product. Hats off to the folks who do this rocket science stuff, sincerely. It's amazing magic stuff here. Really.

However, I find every time I try to do the simplest things in every way possible I end up spending hours fighting the program. I honestly feel, having experience with Alias PowerAnimator, Wavefront, Maya, 3D Studio, 3D Studio Max, Solidworks, that I won't be able to progress without having an instructor literally sit in the room with me to answer every time I say, OK now why can't I do this? See, I tried it X ways and none of those work. What's going on here? And I feel I'd be doing that literally every 5 minutes until I learn "the way it likes to work" and commit those idiosyncracies to memory.

Can someone at least offer some affordable hands-on training so i can get a faster feedback loop? Thanks and sorry for the rant but I'm kind of shocked at how some of the basics are so esoteric in this system. i'm committed to Fusion360, but I need something to restore my confidence in it until the frustration subsides.

Thanks.

archebyte
Participant

Just an update to my previous post. Ok, I admit, I posted in a bit of a flame up. Sorry folks, I know everyone is working hard on F360. Just reached my limit of patience for the evening....

That said, I did a test of my aforementioned steps on a clean, new document and it works (with some added questions), but my more complex model doesn't seem to work for nearly anything I try, so it must be something fishy with my model. Perhaps if I have time and it's possible, I'll post online.

I'm still interested in in-person trainings if those are available. 

Thanks,

Joel

Jim.Kelsall
Observer

I would like to also vote for inclusion of a feature in Fusion 360 to join line segments into one line. My primary (current use) of this would be to create a single rail entity from multiple arcs and lines for lofting.

Currently I resort to less than perfect (read hand adjusted as best I can) splines.

Many thanks in advance. I truly appreciate this tool's existence and all the work being put into it. I tried to get on with Solidworks multiple times but it never stuck. I find the Fusion 360 interface intuitive and I seem to be able to come back after weeks or months and remember prior learnings and just use the tool.

Jim

fritter63
Collaborator

So many kudos on this... so little action.

Anonymous
Not applicable

and after 6 months no news?

Maciej_Rogowski
Enthusiast

Hello,

There is a new add-in called Fill Gaps in Sketch on the Autodesk App Store. It fills gaps between end points of lines and curves in a sketch. It allows to create closed profiles without gaps.

Here is a link to the Autodesk App Store:

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=1232847965088759508&appLang=en&os=Win64

Maciej_Rogowski
Enthusiast

Hello,

There is a new add-in called Fill Gaps in Sketch on the Autodesk App Store. It fills gaps between end points of lines and curves in a sketch. It allows to create closed profiles without gaps. 

Here is a link to the Autodesk App Store:

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=1232847965088759508&appLang=en&os=Win64

and a link to an instructional video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-J9GFCsWzQ

alex.olshove
Participant

Fill gaps is not a solution to this problem.  Please allow line endpoints to be joined to make longer contiguous line segments.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is frustrating...can't join lines but the pipe tool decides randomly to convert each line into a pipe segment which means I cannot send a solid part over to our pipe bending supplier...their software can't read the non-solid part so we're likely going to have to move to another software 😞 

Anonymous
Not applicable

ridiculous and maddening that 4 years later this still isn't addressed.  the sketch/creative workflow in this program is highly unintuitive. the rants and struggles are real-people shouldn't have to spend f'ing hours as I have today to figure out workarounds to do simple **** like join a line segment to another line segment-especially where points overlap on the same 2D plane!!!  definite deal breaker with this software for sure!!!! fix it!~!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report