Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable forced updating

Disable forced updating

There should be a way to delay updating Fusion 360, or at least be able to run an outdated version when required. Currently, if there is a new update available, Fusion users are only given the option to "update now" or "quit". This makes the program nearly unusable if you are onsite with a client, and trying to show him or her your design since you are now completely locked out of the program until you find a wifi connection and wait for the massive update file to be downloaded and installed.

23 Comments
Explorer

I totally agree, especialy also if one is onsite and only on a mobile/cell connection, it could be costly if roaming outside normal area.

There should be a way to post-pone updates

cekuhnen
Mentor

good point about data costs

also when an update is bugged

kellings
Advisor

I can see this being useful in some cases like you guys mention. However, I do think there should be a set amount of time that you can push the update off by. Otherwise it will just end up like Windows XP. 

lukepighetti
Advisor

I constantly see use cases on here that are only issues because of the **** Cloud.

NDA issues

on-site use

the feeling of ownership of software & data

privacy concerns

that 'update' that tanked Fusion for everyone the other day right during peak work hours

This would all be mitigated nicely by allowing a little checkbox in the preferences that says "Sync projects for offline use", one in a project that says "Maintain offline only", and a button that says "Update later"

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

jmillikan93
Community Visitor

Worst thing in the world is to come home from work ready to work on your own project only to find out that Fusion needs to update (which takes at least an hour for me). It would be nice to have updates on a set timeline (weekly or monthly) that would allow more time working and less time updating.

perry.minyard
Observer

I agree 100%.

We are a univerisy, and have computer labs, and students who want to run Autodesk Fusion 360 cannot run fusion unless we give them administrative rights on the computer, which we cannot do.  The updates occur so frequently, that it makes it very difficult for us to keep the version of fusion current.

There needs to be a way to not force the update.   This is unusable in a teaching computer lab environment.

cekuhnen
Mentor

Actually here at Wayne State we have to labs

1 iMacs

1 PCs

The updates can be done by the students - permission wise things can be setup to allow this

and still prevent students from messing with the OS and other installations.

But I agree this is often highly annoying specifically when you start class and you spend 35 minutes

wasting on updates.

There should be ignore update function and still make Fusion 360 work as long as updates are not

as so different that they could break things.

perry.minyard
Observer
Yea,

We can give students admin permissions to update it, which we do, however it's really a cumbersome process for the students to do this, and we run into all sorts of issues with roaming profiles.

Thanks,
Perry
perry.minyard
Observer
Yea,

We can give students admin permissions to update it, which we do, however it's really a cumbersome process for the students to do this, and we run into all sorts of issues with roaming profiles.

Thanks,
Perry
cekuhnen
Mentor

@perry.minyard We dont give students admin permission we just allow Fusion as an app to be updated by the user.

tojodrew
Observer

needed to use fusion for something quick, now had to work around as it updates.   very inapropriate from a working point of view.

udream
Community Visitor

Hello

we need a way to suspend update for a time.

And at the verry least update at the end of session, not when you have just started somthing and want to get started now not some time later.

Max

TravisJoe
Advocate

Besides the mentioned concerns, I always worry about the missed bug. Some people, especially in the professional or corperate world prefer to wait a little time to make sure bugs are worked out before choosing to upgrade. Even huge companies like Apple that have controlled hardware and software run into bugs on releases and some pople choose to lag behind a little to avoid those bleeding edge bugs.

To me being able to choose to lag behind for a period (lets say up to 1-3 releases) would be nice, and also revert would ease a lot of peoples concerns. If for some reasons a release breaks something but allows you to revert version would be good in the professional environment. 

perry.minyard
Observer
Come on Autodesk!! Please take action on this soon. We have our fall semester starting up in August, and it would be really nice to have this worked out by the end of July.
This issue has been a burden for us in our lab environment. There needs to be the option to 'delay' updating instead of forcing the user to do so, and there should be consideration taken into the fact that sometimes users may have a roaming profile. It would be very nice if Autodesk would design their software to support the use of roaming profiles on identical comptuers.
SwissPL
Advocate

After an auto update, the software won't open anymore; this sucks!

Now having to uninstall and reinstall, would be nice to make updating optional.

pior_o
Enthusiast

Forced updates is the one thing that a software should NEVER, EVER do. Give the option to delay the update asap. And if that requires some redesign with the way Fusion works, so be it.

Of course it is great when everyone is running the latest version of the software, but programmers and QA testers are not perfect and bugs can slip through. What if an update makes me unable to open my current document ? What if I am in a huge hurry ? What if my internet connection is unstable ?

On top of that it is not uncommon for IT departments to wait for a certain amount of time before any software update. For instance it is often recommended to never update to a new version of 3dsMax until at least one service pack is released - and at best until about a year after the initial release. There is no reason for Fusion to be treated differently.

Put your users and the integrity of their work first and foremost. Everything else comes second to that. Case in point : I am currently in a hurry and I need Fusion for a small task that should take a few minutes to perform. But I am prompted for a forced update, and the update process is failing. I am losing precious time.

perry.minyard
Observer
Agreed 100%. This forced update has caused us a LOT OF PROBLEMS, and has resulted in our professors having to cancel their classes.

Autodesk - please take heed to this immediately, and figure out a better solution. Please keep in mind as well, that not all users may have administrative access to the computers they are using, so it should also check to see if the user has rights to install the update as well.
JDMather
Consultant

Our lab computers have DeepFreeze installed which returns the computer to imaged state on re-boot as set by IT.

We image the labs twice a year and have to fight to get the mid-year update.

johnrembold
Explorer

This is a serious issue - forced update just caused a crash, lost the last hour or so of work...not cool! Robot Mad Robot MadRobot Mad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report