Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calliper-like measure tool - a missing Inspect ability - Sketch and Design

Calliper-like measure tool - a missing Inspect ability - Sketch and Design

We are given many ways to measure in Fusion, but a particular measurement type is missing.

You cannot measure overall length along your own chosen element.

An element being any of the many items that make up a 3D onscreen representation of a solid. 

I would like to request a measurement tool in Fusion that works like a real-life calliper. A real-life calliper doesn't need new things to establish an overall length on a solid.

A calliper, by design, restricts its measurement to a single line, but the orientation of that line can be controlled by the user.

1)Choose your reference. This is NOT an origin plane unless coincidentally the line is aligned with an origin plane.

It is a line or plane ON AN OBJECT. Also need to include a choice of "Extents" for an object that has no lines or planes to reference.

2)Choose the start point/face/body/component

3)Choose the end point/face/body/component

I attached the screencast I made when I was asking if the feature existed - it explains this pretty well I hope.

Also attaching the 3df from the screencast.

1 Comment
daniel_lyall
Mentor

@drew just dropping a comment so someone does not make the same mistake as i did.

The object is not aligned to anything all lines are at a angle to world origin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report