Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better tools to add add edge loops to T-Splines

Better tools to add add edge loops to T-Splines

The current tools available to add edge loops to T-Splines are are limited to the point of being useless.

Just trying to add edge loops to a simple not subdivided 6-sided cube in Fusion 360 is a hassle.

The animated gif below show how blazingly fast this can be done in Blender by using the key-combo Ctrl-R and scrolling the mouse wheel to increase/decrease the number of edge loops : 

Add edge loops.gif

20 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

I feel the loop cut tool in Fusion TS is somewhat less functional when you do not deal with cubes.

Every time the topology is a bid more complex the insert edge tool refuses to make loop cuts Blender has no problem with.

letf image shows where fusion refuses to select edges which would result in a clean loop-cut.

right image shows where fusion is fine selecting a loop cut.

if the insert edge tool is that picky then we need a knife tool where we can manually select the edge and then cut thought for example the edge mid points.

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 3.21.11 PM.png

TrippyLighting
Consultant

In general Blender has a lot of functionality to offer for this type of modeling. It would serve the Autodesk developers well to look at the concepts. The Blender UI is very different but many of the tools are really designed for an eficient workflow.

cekuhnen
Mentor
The workflow is incredible fast. And I world love to have the same in fusion. I tried with a student to build a teddy bear and because the loop cut outs so bad we gave up and did or in blender. But ideally they should be able to do this on fusion.
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

This may be due to the inherent underlining technology behavior of T-Spline and how star points and T points determine edge continuity. Colin can chime in and provide more details. 

cekuhnen
Mentor

if this is a limit then this is a game changer. the idea of subdiv is to heavily work with loopcuts as well and certain shapes are nearly impossible to do with TS wihtout labor intensive work arounds.

Maybe what should happen is to offer also a simple dump subd modeling mode where all this is not an issue and offer TS as a smoothing / preview result (when you want to use curvature graphs)

Then when you exit sculpt you get the BREP model.

maybe that might be an option - comparing the sculpting speed of NX vs TS you start noticing thst TS is quite a tick slower

colin.smith
Alumni

Hi @cekuhnen

I'm a bit confused about this request.  When the edge terminates and can go in 3 different directions, how would the software know which way you want to go?  If you have a good example of how Blender or some other software allows you to guide the software then I'd love to take a look.

Thanks

Colin

colin.smith
Alumni

cekuhnen
Mentor
colin.smith
Alumni

Ah, I see what you mean now. My guess is that the original code assumed that you only wanted to do small edge insert because T-Splines are good at doing that.  But we could have an option to extend to adjoining faces (or close loop) so that it would behave the way you were showing in Blender.

I'll put this on the list for T-Spline improvements.

Thanks

Colin

colin.smith
Alumni

Adding to T-Spline backlog.

colin.smith
Alumni

colin.smith
Alumni

deddydtd
Enthusiast

Insert a new command similar to Mayan or speedform

Insert edge ring

ring.jpg

mfeathers
Advocate

The problem you have from a Fusion perspective is there are no existing edge loops on your model. If you split that edge using Modify > Insert Point,  and make a loop, you can then use the Modify > Insert Edge to do exactly what you want. I made a short, simple video showing this. (double clicking the edge selects the loop.

http://autode.sk/1R3bAG8

I guess maybe it's just a different way of achieving the same result.

colin.smith
Alumni

I have heard this from other customers, I have it in the T-Spline backlog.  Relase date TBD right now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree with this. This would be a awesome feature to incorporate!

colin.smith
Alumni

We already have this request in our backlog.  Release TBD. Thanks for the suggestion. 

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

TrippyLighting
Consultant

Very cool. Thanks for the update!

Anonymous
Not applicable

reading through some of these older posts, I'm starting to get the idea that "Future Consideration" means we hear your requests and feedback but really have no plans to implement them. This is a great example, changed to future consideration more than two years ago.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report