Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "to next" option for extrude extents

Add "to next" option for extrude extents

Please add "to next" as an option for defining extents of extrusions. This is a normal option in competitor products and is indispensible in some situations. For example, extruding up to a non-planar face or one that isn't parallel to the sketch plane, particularly with a thin walled surface. 

Without this option, the extrusion may emerge on the other side of the body before it has fully merged with the incident face. Without "to next" there is no easy work around.

5 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager

You can get the same result using a to in most cases. Have you tried using to and picking the outside face of the thin wall to terminate?

kevinwatts
Collaborator

I strongly agree that there is a need for this improvement!

For an existing project, I need to modify/update/remove and move a number of support bosses used for mounting and fastening that protrude from an irregular curved convex/concave surface. The components need to move in to CNC production. We need a simple solution.

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to accepted.  Work is being done on improving our extrude functionality and extrude "to next" is one of the enhancements.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Intertal Tracking FUS-26407

jrychter
Enthusiast

I'm glad this is being worked on — just to add to this: the reason this is important is because sometimes selecting the "to" surface is cumbersome (imagine punching holes in a sphere, for example).

kevinwatts
Collaborator

Thank you jrychter. Yes, this is needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report