Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add advanced materials for simulation

Add advanced materials for simulation

Could we get composites, visco-elastic, and other advanced materials for simulation?

For composites; being able to dictate fiber orientations and ply thicknesses would be really helpful. Not to mention put it well beyond most other solid modeling software out there. What I imagine would be declaring that particular faces or components have 100% fibers divided into different directions (for instance 50% i, 25%j, 25%k). This of course doesn't work very well for molded and organic shapes, but in that case the assumption that the fibers follow the i, j, k percentages while remaining parallel and coincident with the organic surface direction might suffice. It would also be helpful to be able to dictate filament and matrix for the material. Carbon-Fiber, Glass-Fiber, Nano-Tube, etc combined with different epoxy matrix types would allow for a more complete engineering solution I think.

In similar fashion; having access to non-linear visco-elastic materials would be a pretty amazing addition to the simulation library. Rubbers that deform non-linearly or polymers that have accurately modeled ultimate compression strength (there's some that actually have no ultimate compression strength).

This things would add additional depth and functionality to an already robust system.

4 Comments
charegb
Community Manager

@vex We have more Sim capabilities coming soon. Lets revisit this idea after the new capabilities are in product.

charegb
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

AlexFComp
Participant

+1 for this idea!
I'd definitely love to see the composite part with fiber orientations and ply thickness on surfaces implemented (at least like what you can find on ABAQUS with the Composite Layup manager - see picture below). This would certainly make us consider using AF360 as a full time solution for our simulations.

Capture.PNG

Alex

vex
Collaborator
Collaborator

Just saw the new update with non-linear materials.

Is this the start of some new exciting things?!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report