Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a "Normal" constraint for sketching

Add a "Normal" constraint for sketching

I'd like to have a normal constraint that can be applied between a line and a curve, to make said line normal to the curve at the point of coincidence.

In current versions one has to do a rather clumsy workaround for this, where you first have to add a construction line that is tangent to the curve, and then set your line perpendicular to this construction line.

Should be fairly easy to add, I'd think, as all the maths necessary is already there.

4 Comments
kebes22
Participant

I agree that it should allow you to use the perpendicular constraint between a line and a curve, I was frustrated when I first discovered it.  There is however a fairly simple workaround, and that is to make the center point of the arc/circle coincident to the line (note that it doesn't actually have to pass through the center point to do this).  Essentially this means that the line has to radiate out from the center of the arc, which will always be perpendicular to the tangent of the circle.

mroek
Collaborator

I have been made aware of thet workaround, and for arcs or circles it works as expected, but not for splines. And I think that having an explicit constraint would also make it more clear what is actually constrained. It isn't immediately obvious that the line is normal to the arc when the constraints shown are coincident constraints. And for arcs with a large radius, you will not even see the center point constraint if you are zoomed in on the area where the line connects to the arc.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thanks for the submission! We have this captured in our backlog but we are not sure when we will be able to to get to this work. We will keep you posted. 

dave6J28L
Participant

We really need coincident, tangent, and perpendicular constraints to SPLINES. Otherwise the spline isn't useful as a sketch device, and attaching features to them is cumbersome and inaccurate. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report