Did you mean: 

Finish pass on open contours

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
yannick.raepsaet
123 Views, 0 Replies

Finish pass on open contours

Hi, 

I've been using solidworks and Mastercam for a few years now but we recently made the transition to inventor for CAD/CAM. As you can imagine the process is sometimes painfull... --> novice Inventor user
I stumbled upon something stange when doing something pretty basic i.m.o. and was wondering if maybe I'm missing something.

The toolpath I'm trying to create is an open contour pass. I'd like to ramp down (zigzag) to -8mm depth from the stock top, followed by a single finishing pass at the bottom (-8mm). 

On closed contours this does not seem to be a problem, but on the closed contour the "stepover" option in the "passes" tab is not available and it seems impossible to create the toolpath as discribed above. Instead every pass seems to ramp down. 

I fixed this by splitting the pass in 2 passes, one roughing ramp pass and one 2D finishing pass, but this seems like a quick and dirty fix. Anyone know of a better way to approach this? 

Thank you in advance.

FYI: the first image is of the toolpath of the open contour, the second image is the closed one.
FYI2: I added the inventor part as attachment

yannickraepsaet_0-1649340629471.png

yannickraepsaet_1-1649340636643.png

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report