Community
HSM Post Processor Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no semicolons when post processing for Haas?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
884 Views, 5 Replies

Why no semicolons when post processing for Haas?

Hello,

I'm new to HSMWorks and am running it in Solidworks.  It appears to work great, except no semicolon appears on any block when posting to "Haas Generic".  Any suggestions?  Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Laurens-3DTechDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Because this is not needed.

It's just something to tell the machine you are on the end of a line when you are programming on the machine.

When you program externally the system already knows what the end of a line is. Because of the (Ascii 10 (LF)) which means line feed.

Fanuc and Haas use this as their EOB(End of block.)

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Laurens-3DTechDraw

Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate the helpful lesson.

I have a related question. We have a new Haas VF2 machining center at the community college where I work, and we use USB thumb drives to input files to that machine. Thus far, we've only input simple .txt files that are written manually using a text editor. I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the machine only accepts .txt files, where it is important that each block in the text file ends with a semicolon. From what I understand in your note, it is possible we can avoid ending each block with a semicolon when we write G-code manually with a text editor. I'll try it.

I have another question. Which extension should I use when saving a post-processed file from HSMWorks? Several extensions are listed:

"ISO Milling Files (*.NC; *.NCL, *.ISO, *.NCF)"
"HSMWorks Post Files (*.CPS)
"Text File Files (*.*)

I will try copying sample files with these different extensions to a USB thumb drive. Then I'll attempt to load them into the Haas machine.

Your advice is welcome.

Thank you

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Laurens-3DTechDraw

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I appreciate the helpful lesson.

I have a related question.  We have a new Haas VF2 machining center at the community college where I work, and we use USB thumb drives to input files to that machine.  Thus far, we've only input simple .txt files that are written manually using a text editor.  I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the machine only accepts .txt files, where it is important that each block in the text file ends with a semicolon.  From what I understand in your note, it is possible we can avoid ending each block with a semicolon when we write G-code manually with a text editor.  I'll try it.

I have another question.  Which extension should I use when saving a post-processed file from HSMWorks?  Several extensions are listed:

"ISO Milling Files (*.NC; *.NCL, *.ISO, *.NCF)"
"HSMWorks Post Files (*.CPS)
"Text File Files (*.*) 

I will try copying sample files with these different extensions to a USB thumb drive.  Then I'll attempt to load them into the Haas machine.

Your advice is welcome.

Thank you

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for your help.  Our Haas machine accepted .NC files saved from the post processor.  On the Haas display, semicolons were automatically added to each block.  Great fun.  Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Laurens-3DTechDraw

The Haas post processor automatically creates the right extension. So yes .nc
And yes when programming in a text editor the semicolon shouldn't be needed either. It's more of a display thing on the machine indeed. But you shouldn't need to type by hand anymore. 😉

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report