Did you mean: 

Okuma LB3000 Post Inside

85 REPLIES 85
SOLVED
Message 1 of 86
BrandonTBFBF
9987 Views, 85 Replies

Okuma LB3000 Post Inside

For anyone in need of a half decent post for an Okuma lathe.

I've spent the last year not only teaching myself how to "speak Okuma" but also learning how to modify these post processors as well.

The generic LB3000 post didn't play very well with my machine (LB3000MYW800) so I give to you the fruits of my labor. It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement over the generic. 

Modifications I've made:

Use Y Axis Retract Feature: Will cancel the tool offset and send the turret "home" in a safe manner if using Y axis          offset style toolholders. It can be turned on or off from the post window in Fusion. It is on by default.

M5 Between M3 and M4: If you're using Y axis offset turning you'll most likely have LH and RH tools stacked. This will stop the spindle between operations if the spindle direction changes.

Peck Tapping: Okuma doesn't have a peck tapping canned cycle so this is kind of a hack but works. It calls multiple G77 cycles to get to the desired depth. The key to this working is the M136 on the G77 line. Peck tapping will also work with Live Tools (G178).

Work Plane Call after Activating Y Mode : Once Y mode is activated (G138) the active work plane is cleared so this makes sure to call the plane after the G138.

IPR Feed for Drilling on Center: I prefer ipr feed for drilling.

Expand Cycle Action: Sometimes I like to customize a drill cycle manually so I added this action. Activated by using expandCycle as the action.

Force Retract Action: Forces the machine to home. I'll use this with Pass Through code when running sub programs. Activated by using forceRetract as the action.

Use 3 Pass Action: I use this to sneak up on tight tolerances. It forces the tool to retract to the home position and writes an M0 with the target dimension as a comment in the program. To use it select Manual NC -> Action -> use3Pass:(dimension) The colon is necessary. Place it AFTER the operation you want to check.

Z Home Position Action: I use this to change the turret Z Home Position in the middle of a program. If I'm working between the Main and Sub spindle on my machine I don't want tool changes happening over top of the Sub Spindle. This way I can set the Home Position wherever I need it. 

To use it select Manual NC -> Action -> zHome:(homeposition) The colon is necessary here too. Place it BEFORE the operation you want to modify the Home Position of.

Multi-Start Threading: You can now choose a standard G71 threading cycle or simple threading cycles(G33) for Multi-start threads.

Multi-Axis Feedrates: The correct logic is now in place for feedrates when multi-axis milling.

There was an issue when selecting "Alternate Flanking" style threading while using Simple Threading Cycles(G33). Basically, it wasn't working. That's been corrected.

I pulled the CircularData function from the Okuma milling post and added it to this post. This ensures that the output points lie exactly on the circle. This keeps the machine from alarming out.

There are some other minor tweaks here and there but mostly just clean up of the code. 

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert on Okuma nor Javascript. Just someone that needed something done and had to teach myself some new skills. I've seen others on this forum run into similar issues with these Okuma machines as I have so I figured I'd share what I've learned.

-Brandon

Labels (3)
85 REPLIES 85
Message 81 of 86
BrandonTBFBF
in reply to: salesBY7V6

Yes that should do it. Let me know if it doesn't work and I can take a closer look.

Message 82 of 86
salesBY7V6
in reply to: BrandonTBFBF

Thanks Brandon,

The output code now looks correct, and the numbers on the control panel look correct, but it must be still running in radius mode. For example, I want to machine a slot in a 43mm diameter bar, the machine says the tool is at 43mm, but its actually at 43mm from the center of the part. See example of code bellow. (starts at X49.**) that's just the clearance height, tip should touch part at x43.00

G140
G90 G80
M960
G50 S4200

(2D POCKET2)
G0 X500. Y0. Z800.
G94 G19 M110
M146
N1 T030303
SB=5000 M13
M8
G138
G19
G0 C205.016
G0 Z-5.75
X73. Y0.
X53.
G1 X49.199 F333.33
X48.611 C205.222 F445.2
X48.174 C205.786 F836.77
X48. C206.565 F1067.61
X47.896 C210.562 F1104.75
X47.791 C214.559 F1107.16
X47.687 C218.556 F1109.58
X47.582 C222.552 F1112.

Thank you

Message 83 of 86
BrandonTBFBF

What machine are you running?

G138 puts the LB3000 into Radius Mode. So if the control says the tool is at 43mm and it's actually at 43mm from the center then you need to undo the changes you made.

Message 84 of 86
salesBY7V6

Its an LB3000.

my Victor lathe with a Fanuc will give the diameter of the part in C axis mode. I wonder if that is not possible on the Okuma.

Before I made the post change, it would machine correctly, just the code and controller would read in radius, not diameter. Doesnt seem as intuitive when I am so used to working with diameter measurements when running lathes.

Thanks for the help

Message 85 of 86
BrandonTBFBF

To my knowledge it is not possible.

It was explained to me that the reason for the Radius Mode was so you could program it like a mill.

Message 86 of 86
salesBY7V6

Hi,

I got it working as I wanted, just needed to un-tick the Y axis option just before the code is generated. I am not using the Y axis so no need to go into Y axis mode.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report