27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
9682 Views, 27 Replies

Mach3 5 axes

Hi ,

I'm try to using 5 axes in Mach3 but the post processor is for 3 axes only,

is there any way to modify the post processor?

Any help greatly appreciated!

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, i know this is an old post, but i just started working with 5-axis machine for my master´s degree and the machine using is also the HY6040 exactly like the one you posted with a small difference, the A and B axis on my machine are the opposite of yours (A axis rotates around Z and B axis rotates around X in my case.

So my question is, can i change these axis on mach3mill or do i have to do it on the post-processor, because, and to be honest, i know nothing when it comes to programming post-processors, my work in entirely dedicated to toolpath generation.

Again i know this is and old post, but if you could help i would be very thankful.

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous

Hello,
The orientation of the axis's on your machine are setup in the Post Processor, Mach3 cannot change this after the G CODE is written.
Also the CAM (Toolpath Programming software) Has to be setup the same way.

CAD CAM has gotten very far over the last 20 years but in my opinion there are hundreds too many software options and 1,000's of CNC machines which makes programming a 1 of a kind result.
In a perfect world there would be only ONE post processor to compile a simple G Code, and ONE kernel behind maybe a few CAD CAM software packages.

Do you have a Post Processor generator software?
This is an area that because of my prior statement, each post processor needs to "hand crafted" between each machine and CAM software.
Message 23 of 28
Anonymous

Im working with Fusion360, and i see a lot of people on the internet changing/adapting the default post-processors to their needs, unfortunately i really know nothing about this area.

However i downloaded the post processor you posted and what happens is that, instead of rotating my B axis 90 degrees, it is the A axis that rotates and vice-versa. So if i can change this, the post processor would be great for my work. Is there any way you could explained me how to do it?

BTW thank you for replying 🙂  

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous

I had the same issues with mixed up A and B inside Camworks UPG. Oddly enough although my A is the tilt and my B is the rotary, I just typed in A for rotary and B for tilt, then my G Code came out correctly.

What I later discovered is if I chose Camworks as my 5 axis then clicked it, another window opened and I had 0.00000 in several boxes. If I went through this methodically and put spindle 1.000000
Tilt on X 1.000000, rotate on Y 1.000000
Then I had to switch back the main page to the correct Tilt is A, rotate is B

Either way worked fine but the second way feels more correct.
Message 25 of 28
jlmccuan

To my knowledge, a machine with a trunnion and a rotary axis about the Z is an XYZAC machine.  "A" rotates along the X axis, "B" rotates about the Y axis and "C" rotates about the Z axis.  Then you have the table/table, head/table, and head/head varieties within those.

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous

Same machin and same problem for me.

I use fusion and mach3 5 axis, and i can't use five axis there are big offset after rotation of the trunion.

i think we have to work with an other software, because many people have the same machin and the same problem and autodesk don't want to find a solution...😭

Message 27 of 28
richpicture

Hi 
I use Mach3 with Fusion for 5 axis. 

I do not encounter this problem by ....

Setting the setup machine origin to the intersection point of the A and B axes; and the workpiece origin to the centre point of the B axis face. This naturally leads to an offset (difference of the two origins)of  either a minus Y value or a minus Z value, dependant upon the whether the B axis face of the trunnion is point forward or upward when A is 0.  Fusion and the post processor then takes this into account and  will maintain a fixed point as the A axis rotates etc 
Maybe you are already doing this. So attached is the Mach 3 post processor I use for my trunnion setup  

In this file you will find 2 lines ...

// 'A' OFFSET removed for the A Axis because there isn't one
var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:true, axis:[1, 0, 0], range:[-110.0001,20.000], preference:0});

// 'B' OFFSET on my set up is y-16 with A set to 0 degrees ie B axis Face plate is facing forward
var bAxis = createAxis({coordinate:1, table:true, axis:[0, -1, 0],offset:[0,-16,0],range:[-9999,9999], preference:0});

You will need to amend the offsets and the angular limits for your trunnion setup 

Hope this helps and and pleased let me know how you get on and if you need further help  

Good luck Richard  

Message 28 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: richpicture

Thank you!

Thank you so much for sharing.

you can help me? i want to setup 1 post 5 axix for my pc configuration, thank you, looking forward to getting help.af5157067b868bd8d297.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report