Did you mean: 

Help with post and technology

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
m_skotak
670 Views, 8 Replies

Help with post and technology

Hi all,

i would ned your advice with one problem. I wanna machine some groove on machine Doosan MX 2100 with fanuc controler. Machine have 5 axis XYZCB. I would need use only 4 axis for machining this (machine cannot use all 5 axis together).
I attached also 3D model of my part. I need only machine groove everything else i have.

Can i do it with some good result in HSM Works? Machine have not TCP mode.
i need do it similar as in the video (2:35).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpExTcqg7ws

Thanks very much for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
scottmoyse
in reply to: m_skotak

I had to leave a bit of radial stock on Swarf 1 because it was cutting into the model, when Swarf 2 wasn't (not sure why, maybe there is a difference between the faces due to the swept cut in the model?)The face needs to be parallel to the x axis and coincident with the Z axis as all times for 4th axis substitution to work.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Product & Platform Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 9
scottmoyse

I would also model those surfaces beyond where you need them, so you can continue the cut off the ends of the slots, but still follow the cylinder.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 9

scottmoyse wrote:

I had to leave a bit of radial stock on Swarf 1 because it was cutting into the model, when Swarf 2 wasn't (not sure why, maybe there is a difference between the faces due to the swept cut in the model?)The face needs to be parallel to the x axis and coincident with the Z axis as all times for 4th axis substitution to work.

This is true 4-axis Scott.(That is in the multi-axis operations.)
Therefor this is much easier on a machine like this that has Y-axis as well.(That can't change at the same time but still could be offset from the centerline)

Another thing is that you can use the tangential extension, but only about half the tool diameter.(So the radius.)

Here is how I would do it. Take a smaller tool and do 4 passes. Isn't the fastest way I know, but it makes the best part.

Also I didn't do that in the part but you can use the linear lead-in to make sure the tool doesn't hit the stock when it plunges to depth.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 5 of 9
scottmoyse

I knew the machine was true 4th axis. I just programmed it with 4th axis sub.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

scottmoyse wrote:

I knew the machine was true 4th axis. I just programmed it with 4th axis sub.

No you programmed it with true 4-axis that was my point. 😉

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 7 of 9
scottmoyse

damn it... I need to go to bed. I was just coming back to post my mistake.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 8 of 9

scottmoyse wrote:

damn it... I need to go to bed. I was just coming back to post my mistake.

Goodnight Scott 😉

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 9 of 9
scottmoyse

I messed about with the tangential extension, but I didn't like that it left the flat on the end. I like your solution of using the small tool and combining it with the flow.

The same thing is happening in the stock simulation though, one side there is a slight amount of stock left (20 steps, 0.01mm comparision step), but on the other side its bang on (in mine it was the other way around).

It always worries me see how rough looking that stock simulation is. I assume that in reality (the toolpath looks smooth, so its a relatively safe assumption), then it is smooth. It's just the faceting of the stl in the simulation which is rough.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report