Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make lathe tooling on negative X supported please!

Make lathe tooling on negative X supported please!

I have a turret on my Tormach lathe and I also have a QC post below that cuts from -X. Fusion 360 has no way of working in the -X area. The spindle turns the same direction (CCW) the tool just needs to cut in the +X direction instead of the -X direction.

I mounted a boring bar in my QC post and Fusion won't even output a useful tool path that I could go and manually (unfortunately) change all the X values. Why is there not already support for this? Tolls in the QC that cut on X0 (drills, taps, etc) work fine. But If I want to put a specialty cutter on the QC that I don't wan tin the turret all the time I can't do it.

I found someone's workaround post processor that will change X values based on tool number and turret number but I can't get it to work and if F360 won't make a correct toolpath for the part then simply swapping X values won't do any good.

4 Comments
WillL84
Collaborator

F360.png

Here's what I'm talking about. This tool is setup in the QC post and is oriented in the proper direction (CAM shows exactly what you'd see looking at it). But it wants to cut on the +X side which is the turret side. It needs to cut on the -X side.

bob.schultz
Autodesk

Have you tried the tormach pathpilot turning.cps post processor?  It is currently in Beta mode and handles a turret, a Quick Change setup, and Gang Tooling.  The Quick Change and Gang Tooling are supported on both the Front and Rear tool posts.  When using the Front tool post, the X-values will be output in the negative quadrant, you still generate the tool paths in the positive X direction.

You select the tooling mode by using different turret numbers for the operation.

Turret 0 = Positional Turret
Turret 1 = Quick Change Front Tool Post
Turret 2 = Quick Change Rear Tool Post
Turret 3 = Gang Tooling on Front Tool Post
Turret 4 = Gang Tooling on Rear Tool Post

WillL84
Collaborator

That's the one I've been using, I never knew there was any kind of setup like that built in. My problem is with F360 not making correct toolpaths with tools that are supposed to cut from -X

bob.schultz
Autodesk

If you hold the mouse over the property table of the Post Process window you should see the turret information in the tool tip text.

When using this post you will still program your operations using the +X direction, the post will do the conversion to the -X direction (for the Front Tool Post), so Fusion should still create valid tool paths.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report