Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compound Chamfer / 3 Axis chamfer

Compound Chamfer / 3 Axis chamfer

I would love to see a 3 axis chamfer feature with a ball nose, sort of a morph tool-path but simple selection of the chamfer surface or edges. Would make life so much easier. I know I can run a few 3D strategies to get the job done, but when you have many such chamfers to do would be great to have a simple solution for complex parts.

An example is this 3 D model chamfered edge.

21 Comments

It's not here yet but there is a new strategy being developed that would be fantastic for such chamfers.

It's being tested in a sort of Alpha state at this moment...

See this screenshot of itBlend.png:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do that with Flow all the time. Works beautifully:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJd58M7A_G_/?taken-by=lumalabs

@Anonymous That is not in Inventor HSM and Fusion 360.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Laurens-3DTechDraw Still!?!? Why not?

For adding some nice drama to a prismatic part (like above), Flow is like the very best toolpath. 

@Anonymous because they don't get the half baked flow but only the new blend.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Laurens-3DTechDraw Wait, Flow (which I love and have found to be pretty amazing) is actually half baked... and Blend is better?

B0KqODs

Ohh yeah......I love the idea...

these days many of us the parts come off the machine in a finished state, so to have a simple way of doing it would be amazing. 

Inventor HSM doesn't have 'flow' or 'blend' at the moment. SO new strategy in Alpha, due when??

@SouthernCrossSmallArms I'm pretty sure it could be next week or 5 months. The last 5% is the hardest so it could all be going good or the guys find a problem and it takes a while. So no due date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Laurens-3DTechDraw

Can you tell us a little about how Blend works versus Flow?

I'm a pretty heavy user of Flow, so I am super interested in learning more. The lack of Flow (and frustrations with how sketching works) are my two big gripes about Fusion. 

@Anonymous

Flow has problems when the direction arrows cannot line up. As well as that it doesn't have a step-over value.

Blend sort of "morphs" between two guide curves, but then also for true 3D surface vs where the normal morph is only good for shallow features.

See an example where blend works much better.

Blend vs-Flow.png

lenny_1962
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw that is exactly the way surfcam does their multi-cut toolpath, pic a string of faces and then morph between 2 curves to contain, uses incremental or scallop stepover and check surfaces also. I have to use both HSMWorks and surfcam to get the parts done because the lack of control of Flow in Woks.

@Anonymous I'm with a brother! Use flow cutting a **** load! On almost every part for something or another.

lets get it rolling guys, half baked is better than nothing, let us help by grinding away on the code, please.

Steinwerks
Mentor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw I have been eagerly awaiting this sort of functionality. Flow works... tolerably... in most instances but then you get funny failures at times that don't make much sense.

I'm with @lenny_1962 and would love for this to be put out in beta functionality in all the packages. Much more useful for a much broader range of users than full 5-axis toolpaths IMO.

@Steinwerks and @Anonymous_1962 I understand your eagerness but it's not ready to be put on the machine if you ask me.
lenny_1962
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw were no asking you we are asking AD, let some of us alfa test the stuff,.

I cut alot of prototypes, different every day and some pretty bad modelling by the students that can play havoc when trying to machine.

I'm a beta tester for surfcam currently, well for the last 20 yrs. anyway, no the issues that arise,.

@Steinwerks and @Greg don't think they machine the way we do and feel our pain!

@lenny_1962

That's kind of what I said earlier already right that it's being tested in an alpha test.

That includes users.

And it's still especially bad on badly modeled parts.

And I relly think this is a major step forward when some serious issue's in there are resolved before making it in a beta release for everyone to test.

lenny_1962
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw so get the 3 of us on alpha, we use that strategy alot and we all use it differently the same way kind of sorta you betcha der hey!!! 

al.whatmough
Alumni
Batch processing ideas that are 10+ months old with less than 5 votes. This is in no way to suggest the idea isn't a good one. However, the lack of votes tends to mean that the community feels other ideas should be given a higher priority. Feel free to tag me if you feel an idea wasn't given enough of a chance. We are more than happy to have a conversation on any of these ideas.
al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Matt.WestSU7H9
Enthusiast

Time to revive this thread. Anyone able to get a chamfer tool to run a flow path?

Keep getting "No Geometry" because Flow needs surfaces, not edges.

Would be nice to run a simple 3 axis chamfer profile with T88 around the edges for finishing.

Just like "project" or "Pencil"... but have a G41/G42 comp offset option.

No Flow.png

T88.png

lenny_1962
Advisor

put on a chemfer in the solid and use blend, that how I have done it forever.

Blend should be in beta mode. thats where it is in HSMWorks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report