Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add strategy: Plunge roughing

Add strategy: Plunge roughing

It would be a great feature in HSM Express to have a Plunge Roughing strategy. For some large chambers to mill (600 mm diameter, 80 mm deep) our cnc-tools supplier recommended using this strategy in combination with a large bore-mill. See picture:

plunge-roughing-cad-cam-dialog.png

32 Comments
al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

We have this technology inside Autodesk Powermill.  This is a good thing to look into as something we can pul across. 

panscan
Enthusiast

Yes, I have to mill alot of small gear modules, and doing adaptive takes 30min of generating the code only, and then the program gets big and the machining time is about 1.5hours 😞 Plunge will really help here.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@panscan. What kind of part do you need that calculation for. Can you share it? Sometimes adaptive can take a while, but then I'm talking a few minutes, not ,5 hours.

panscan
Enthusiast

Gears and ringgears (flywheels for example) that are 250-300mm in diameter and have 110-140 teeth. Adaptive does not like that at all. I have been trying to drill out the core and then do a contour, but then you plunge thru alot of material when it goes to next teeth so quite easy to make the endmills.

Beeing abel to rough out with plunge milling would really help here. Good feature to add to this cam package.

Knaap
Enthusiast

Having to mill deep pockets with small radii in sharp corners very often, in harder materials and such, I would like to see Plunge Milling as an option as well. Adaptive or pocket don't always cut it.

(Just like a toolpath that is optimized for High feed roughing, sometimes Adaptive/Pocket just aren't a (good) option.) That's a whole different discussion though.

I don't now much about Engineering a software but my guess is that it isn't nearly as hard to implement a sort of pattern style Drilling Op with 'straight' lead outs. But then again, a noob in that area 😉

Is this still under review or is it just off the table? 

I would love to see more toolpaths to use 🙂

MoshiurRashid
Advisor

Its 2020 now. Curious to know, if HSM got plunge milling now?

b_h_waayenberg
Explorer

Plundge milling would be a fantastic option for low deep hole milling or pocker roughing economically. i have a job now that plundge milling the bore is the best option for machining, its a PITA programing this quickly with points of reference, a method i would use far more often if it was quicker to program. you do not need a large HP ridged machine to find value in plundge milling

Dave_Lapthorne
Contributor

I've been setting up a 2d sketch with points in it and then using a Drill operation with an endmill. Choosing SELECTED POINTS as the Hole Mode creates a usable operation.

It can be pretty time consuming to select 30+ points in sequence but I've found this to give a more predictable output compared to patterning the toolpath. Particularly if I'm needing to plunge rough a rectangular or odd shaped pocket instead of a slot.

aaron
Enthusiast

Well its nearly 2022 now and still no plunge mill option so I guess it's not going to happen.

I have tried to use the slot strategy, but for the life of me could not find the "check box for roughout slot with drill cycle" that @Greg_Haisley suggested to use.

I even tried beta mode and still couldn't find it.

LBaldwinDRU69
Community Visitor

Really needed this feature for roughing deep external titanium block quickly.

If the tool path for 2D pocketing and 3D pocketing can be plunge-converted with a specified stepover, it will be possible to increase the number of strategies for stable machining of areas with extremely long overhangs. If there is, I would like to be able to output plunge machining paths even in Fusion 360.

scott.d.gray
Explorer

Still hoping to have plunge roughing strategy added

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report