Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive turning

Adaptive turning

I would like to see Waveform turning implemented in HSM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zor_3hnRIp0

Edit from Autodesk: Changed the description to "Adaptive turning"

16 Comments

You mean Adaptive turning? Smiley Tongue

While I understand the idea behind it, I feel the use is limited.

Only for round grooving tools with limited gain compared to the current sideways grooving.

What would be your use for this?

ivan.stanojevic
Advisor

This is also called "Profit Turning" in esprit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP4ft3rjqcw

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use the current function in Inventor of checking "both ways" during roughing, when using VNMG inserts on complex profiles. If you used round inserts I feel it would currently already work basically identical to the video shown.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

Pretty limited use cases.. BUT i've always thought it was silly that with how awesome Adaptive is, HSMWorks Turning wasn't the first place this was implemented. Like.. The hard part was done 10 years ago, right?

@Rob.Lockwood 

Agreed.

al.whatmough
Alumni

@Rob.Lockwood @Laurens-3DTechDraw you quickly forget that Adaptive doesn't do both ways.  That is a must for Turning.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

@al.whatmough

Okay, maybe "done" wasn't the right choice of words.. but like 95% done?

Surely, convincing Adaptive to be a little bi-directional-curious can't be THAT much more work.. 🙂

@al.whatmough it would need a "re-program" for turning anyway. I've always assumed we don't do bothways adaptive because it doesn't obey to Adaptive's principles, not because the algorithm doesn't do it. So there are reasons to not do bothways in milling, that doesn't mean @martin.dunschen can't just flip a switch in the code for the turning version of the algorithm, they can't be identical like I said before, so allowing bothways is a possibility there.

Different view @Rob.Lockwood ?

PS. Waveform doesn't do bothways either in milling but it does in turning.

al.whatmough
Alumni

@Laurens-3DTechDraw you are correct, this is different but possible.

I was simply stating it isn't just flipping a switch.

Glad to keep hearing use cases for this.   

Keep the thoughts coming.  When does this make sense vs machine down faces.

This is a healthy discussion.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw - right, I made the same assumption.. In fact, i'd bet making it only function in one direction was an issue that was overcome at some point.. With each pass, after evaluating the stock to remove/when finding the start point, there are two solutions so logic follows that there's a snippet of code making it choose one over the other.. just choose the closest one instead :

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@Anonymous Nice suggestion Wil! Would be a nice christmas present. Can I also add something to the wishlist? Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think Esprit has the same thing, so someone else must want it too. 😉
Rob.Lockwood
Advisor
Steinwerks
Mentor

@Rob.Lockwood

I wonder if that actually works with the tool in the example video...

Searching for Voluturn on YT didn't yield any actual cutting videos. Smiley Indifferent

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We are working on Both ways adaptive currently.  once this is complete we will be able to look at Adaptive turning.

It makes no sense to do adaptive turning without support for both ways.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got some complex 17-4 stainless parts I now make that would be GREAT for this. If the tool could follow a pattern, in both direction, that could keep the thickness of removed material consistent so chips would break, this would be a great option I think for certain parts. Almost like doing a finishing pass in both directions, but with lead in and such patterned so the plunge into the material was not too aggressive. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report