Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New morphed spiral finishing strategy

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
fonsecr
4794 Views, 7 Replies

New morphed spiral finishing strategy

We have added a new strategy called "Morphed spiral" intended for finishing of shallow areas.

When beta mode is enabled, you can create a morphed spiral operation from the right-click menu of the operation manager under New Operation -> 3D Milling -> Morphed Spiral.

The morphed spiral strategy generally works the same way as the existing spiral strategy. However, the morphed spiral strategy will generate the spiral from the selected boundary as opposed to the spiral strategy which will trim the generated passes to the machining boundary. This means that morphed spiral can be used for additional surfaces for which spiral is not appropriate. Note that nested boundaries are unsupported at the moment. This will be added a bit later.

You would often use scallop for machining free-form/organic surfaces but both the sharp corners and the linking transitions between the generated passes can result in visible marks (see picture "scallop").

The morphed spiral strategy will generally give a much smoother toolpath by avoiding the above issues (see picture "morphed_spiral"). Morphed spiral is not appropriate for steep areas in which case you would still use scallop or one of the other strategies.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
al.whatmough
in reply to: fonsecr

You guys are busy, keep up the good work!
---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Rene,

I did some testing with this new strategy and noticed 2 things:
1) The last toolpath should be an extra round. Now the lead out is in the middle of the part and you will not have a nice surface.
2) If you use "tool outside boundary" the stepover is not same anymore at steep surfaces.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Hi CNC Machineworks

Thank you for your comments. I'm developing the morphed spiral strategy. Sorry for my late reply, but I was unaware of this thread on the forum.

The morphed spiral is generated in 2D and is then projected vertically onto the surface of the part. Therefore, the stepover is only respected if the surface is fairly shallow. That is the reason that you get a wobbling toolpath and a large stepover at the end of the path, as well as a bad lead out.

Kind regards,
Mikkel
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thx Mikkel for the reply,

Your explanation makes sense. Any plans in the near future to generate the morphed spiral in 3D?

Regards,
Roel
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

We will keep the limitations of the current strategy in mind, but we have no concrete plans of implementing the strategy in genuine 3D.

Regards,
Mikkel
Message 7 of 8
fonsecr

In the latest development release you can now nest contours to get morphed spiral between 2 contours. This allows you to get even better finish for more parts. You can specify any number of contours in the same operation as long as they do not intersect.

Note that morphed spiral will skip nested contours with more that one island inside.

Let us know if you find any issues.

The follow pictures shows an example of a morphed spiral between two selected contours. The first picture shows the spiral toolpath. I sectioned the part so it is easier to see the toolpath. The second picture is a close-up of the cusps as they look. I used a relatively big stepover for they are visible. The important difference to other strategies is that there are no linking transitions which leave visible marks. The last picture shows the selected contours for the operation.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 8 of 8
fonsecr

This feature is now enabled in the 2013 R4 development release.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report