Did you mean: 

4th axis operation for parallel-strategy

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3259 Views, 10 Replies

4th axis operation for parallel-strategy

Hi,
I have a small cnc-mill with a fourth axis, which I would like to use more intensively 🙂

Now I started to play with Inventor HSM Pro. In the Beta-Mode I found the 4-axis limitation check-box already.
I setup a small modell of a crank shaft for playing (see snapshot). Is there a way to use a parallel strategy aroung the rotary axis. I found the "use 4-axis" option in the tool-orientation setup, but it seems its not working so far, or is there a trick?

The only thing what is working so far concerning the 4th axis is the fact you can use the multi-axis-contour operation to correctly mill out the inner edges of the crank shaft with only 4 axis. Anyhow I would like to mill the surfaces as well in 4-axis mode. Is there a way?

Schorsch
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Laurens-3DTechDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

georgtroska wrote:

Hi,
I have a small cnc-mill with a fourth axis, which I would like to use more intensively 🙂

Now I started to play with Inventor HSM Pro. In the Beta-Mode I found the 4-axis limitation check-box already.
I setup a small modell of a crank shaft for playing (see snapshot). Is there a way to use a parallel strategy aroung the rotary axis. I found the "use 4-axis" option in the tool-orientation setup, but it seems its not working so far, or is there a trick?

The only thing what is working so far concerning the 4th axis is the fact you can use the multi-axis-contour operation to correctly mill out the inner edges of the crank shaft with only 4 axis. Anyhow I would like to mill the surfaces as well in 4-axis mode. Is there a way?

Schorsch

For now no.
Somewhere in the future yes.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,
can you estimate a time, when it will be ready?

I'm very familliar with programming, is there a way I can support you? Could write some code?

Schorsch
Message 4 of 11
jeff.walters

The developers are working on it. Im not sure how far along it is so i cant comment on when it will be ready.
Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff.walters

Hi,

two years have passed and still nothing? If there is no progress and even no time estimation I really have to think, if HSM ist the correct tool for me.

Im still offering my help as free programmer

THX Georg

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 11
ArjanDijk

Hi @Anonymous.

Totally agree: Can you please vote on this idea? Maybe that will kick it up the radar

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ArjanDijk

Hi @ArjanDijk,

...done...

@jeff.walters

I figured out that wrapping operations are only allowed on closed pockets on the surface of a cylinder. Would be very nice, if one could reduce the diameter of a cylinder from 40 to 30mm, but unfortunately an operation like this is not possible at the moment.

From my point of view it is a very small step to create a diameter not aligned in the center of the x-axis, too. When this is possible I could create the crank shaft I mentioned above

Cheers Georg

Message 8 of 11
ArjanDijk

@Anonymous:

That is actually possible by wrapping around with a sketch

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 9 of 11
kristjanpg06

You are not alone waiting.. I've even started to take a look at some other CAM software. I need that feature and would most of all like to have it inside of Fusion/HSM but I can't wait a much longer. 

Message 10 of 11
ArjanDijk
in reply to: kristjanpg06

@kristjanpg06 You can do it inside HSMWorks, but most of the thing you can just fix with rotating the part and continue machining

This is also HSMWorks. A dutch company

Message 11 of 11
Jimmyfabs
in reply to: ArjanDijk

Any updates on this?  Are we going to get some better simultaneous 4th axis toolpaths soon?  I do a lot of 4th axis trunnion work and have been struggling to find workarounds.  Multi positioning just does not leave a good finish and is very inefficient. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report