Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underconstrained

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Cad4fish
239 Views, 5 Replies

Underconstrained

I'm going through the videos again trying to really understand the steps and making a guide sheet to follow in the shop.  I had gone back to where "Same plane faces," "loops," and "sides" are mentioned in the Tool Path video.  I created the sketch shown here to play with as I study those options.  It is simply a rectangle with two fillets and a circle added.  I missed a step in moving to "Manufacture" and thought I had a problem with the sketch.  The sketch does not have the "Lock" icon in the tree so I ran "Sketch.ShowUnderconstrained".  I got this message, "Under constrained points: 9, under constrained curves: 7."  It sure looks constrained to me and after fixing the missed step I was able to complete the manufacture steps.  Any thoughts on where this is not fully constrained?

Cad4fish_0-1695158903563.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: Cad4fish

You have no sketch constraint to the Origin.  It is not related to the world.  Drag it around to see the problem.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 6
jeff_strater

I don't see any dimension or constraint to any grounded geometry, such as the sketch origin, or a projected edge.  That is likely the missing constraint.  But, the easiest way to tell is to just try dragging one of the sketch geometries.  It will quickly reveal where the degrees of freedom are.  If you hit ESC before you let up on the mouse, it will abort the drag.  If you forget, undo will undo the drag.  If you share the design, we can show you on your own design.

Also, I noticed that center circle looks like it does not have a diameter dimension.  You'll need that, too.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 6
Cad4fish

When I drag any part of the sketch it all moves together.  I did add a dim to the circle.  I don't know what you mean by "grounded geometry," "sketch origin," or "projected edge."

Message 5 of 6
jeff_strater

exactly.  The fact that you can drag the whole thing means that it is internally constrained, but not constrained to anything that will fix it in sketch space.  Usually you use the sketch origin for that:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 6
jhackney1972

Here is an animated GIF showing the adding of a sketch constraint between the corner of a sketch rectangle to the Origin of the model.  Notice how is constrains two sides immediately.  This is what we mean by constraining your sketch to the Origin.

Sketch to Origin.gif

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report