Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to "project" (I think) my original sketch lines to new face

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
321 Views, 2 Replies

Trying to "project" (I think) my original sketch lines to new face

Hi everyone, fair warning, I am still quite new to fusion and I still struggle with the basics at times, so I appreciate your patience with me.

Ok, so here's a quick summary. My ultimate goal is to design an RC plane in Fusion and then CNC the parts in the workshop at my Uni. I thought a good place to start would be the wing, because it's just a simple sketch and extrude right?

Anyway, I can sketch and extrude a shape, I just start having problems when adding certain characteristics, for example, in the case, a dihedral component to my wing to make it a little more "fancy". I also decided to design the wing so it gets smaller the closer to the outside of the wing you get. Again, just to give it a bit of character and also test and build on my skills in fusion.

Ok, so I did the initial sketch of the aerofoil and extruded the whole sketch to form a basic wing. I then projected my original sketch to the new face to "carry" the camber line and chord forward so I could use them if need be. I feel like projecting the sketch onto the new aerofoil shape was a long winded way of doing it so if anyone could show me a better way I would be very grateful.

Next, I created a new plane at an angle in order to sketch the shape of then next part of my wing at the angle I wanted the dihedral to be at. I then used the sweep tool to keep the same aerofoil shape down the length of the wing as the wing got smaller towards the tip (I can see this might sound confusing so I have attached a YouTube link to a screen capture of my work process).

This worked fine, but when I wanted to carry my chord line and camber line forward I couldn't project the previously projected sketch at an angle (my dihedral angle) and I also couldn't scale the projection down to the size of the aerofoil shape at the wing tip.

To summarise: I would like to know how to keep your original sketch lines onto the faces you extrude/sweep forward.

Here's, the YouTube link of my screen capture making the aerofoil.

https://youtu.be/NYwpEp-dhCo

Once again, Thanks for your patience with me, I feel a little stupid asking these questions sometimes.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Not confusing, I am a Laser Cutter for RC Aircraft amongst other things.

To answer this question, it’s copy the sketch content.  Select items to copy, Control C, 

deselect those items.

Edit the destination sketch, Paste the articles, but move them away from the origin.

Select the articles in this sketch, use sketch scale, and resize.  Then move those articles to position.  Two traps, you can not select the anchor point for the scale function, as a point to scale, hence the initial move into clean space so you can use the sketch Origin as the anchor.

The second trap is the scale function in sketch is uniform, and by scaling factor.

Might help.....

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hopefully this is just a quick question. I have successfully copied and pasted the original sketch onto the new surface, thanks btw. Now I'm just a bit confused as how I should scale the sketch to PERFECTLY match the scale of the new face. Is there like a snap function that I don't know about? I can roughly eyeball the scale but I'd like to get it as precise as I possibly can. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report