Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troble with meshes, offsets and thin extrudes

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Lars_luenebach
232 Views, 2 Replies

Troble with meshes, offsets and thin extrudes

Allright, storytime: I (absolute noob, selftaught aka no professionals to ask these questions) have been trying to create a something like this, but with a blender-made mesh as a base:

Lars_luenebach_0-1694128148478.png

Problem is, the shape I'm working with looks more like this:

Lars_luenebach_1-1694128270482.png

I only have the .stl of that second file, so I've imported it as a mesh, made a crossection, traced that crossection with the "Fit Curves to Mesh" tool, and created both an open and a closed spline path from that mesh crosssection.
So far, so good.
Now I'd like to create an offset around 15mm from the edge (only works with the open splines) and then extrude a 1,2mm thick wall from that offset (doesn't work at all).

I have no idea where to go from here. The error messages feel unhelpful, I'm not finding anything remotely close to my problem in this forum, reddit or youtube, and I've spend the last three hours trying in vain to figure it out on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

I am not clear on what you want but I will say, you need to use something besides the spline tool in the "Fit Curves to Mesh Section" tool to get some better lines.  I have attached my model with a 15mm outside offset and then Extruded to a thickness of 1.2mm.  Please note the smoother sides of the model.

If you can give better instructions, I will be happy to help further.  Model is attached.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

I wanted to keep the edges as organic looking as possible, but since found that fusion is not the right tool for that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report