Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tank Tracks

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ryan_perryXR9NP
505 Views, 6 Replies

Tank Tracks

Hi guys, I am modeling a tank, and want to make the tracks work using joints. Is there any way to rig joints so that I can have my track components move along a path instead of along a single axis?

Screen Shot 2023-11-24 at 7.42.35 PM.png

here is my model. Each track link is an individual component that was made out of patterned bodies. The Bodies were patterned along a path that I would like the tracks to be able to move along.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

You need to attach your model as I do not see it.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

Edit: another way is to modify your model.  Strip out all except the required components for the tracks and save as a new file.  Then attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7

Thank you for getting back so quickly, I cannot attach my model due to the rather large file size, do you know how I can fix that?

Message 4 of 7

If you ZIP the file, does it go below the size limit?  There are other file transfer services such as Dropbox, Google Drive and others.  You can search the internet to find one that suits you. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 7

Message 6 of 7

You have a problem in the way you modeled the track individual components.  The connecting holes, between the track sections, are not round.  This prevents the creation of Joints which are required to animate the model.  In the Animated GIF file you will see one side accepts the Joint Origin at the center but the other side does not.  If you go back and do a sketch on that side, project the hole, then measure it you will find it only gives you a length, not a diameter.  Even if this major problem is overcome, this will be an extremely time consuming task.

You can go to YouTube and do a search and find a few videos on animating a chain which will give you an idea the task you face.  You also are asking to travel around MORE than two axles.

Joint Origin Problem.gif

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 7

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report