Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep error: Body would intersect itself

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
5862 Views, 10 Replies

Sweep error: Body would intersect itself

I am trying to make a hole through a block with a curve, however, I keep getting the error message that the body would intersect itself. Not sure why or how I could get around this, any suggestions? I can't really change the angle and I do not see why this should be an issue... here is what I get:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 9.49.04 AM.png

Thanks for any help!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Your circle profile does not appear to be normal to the start of the path - even if it worked, the result would not be correct.

File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here for demonstration of correct technique.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Attached is the file, I am looking forward to see how this is done...

Message 4 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

Sketch1 is not fully constrained.

When I add the missing dimension - it does not make logical sense for the existing position of the line.

I cannot figure out the purpose of Sketch2.

I cannot figure out the purpose of Sketch3.

Sketch5 is not fully constrained?

I cannot figure out the purpose of Sketch7.

I do not see the self-intersecting Sweep error that you report.

The Sweep that you have in the file appears just as expected to me.

Are you sure that you Attached the correct file?

Oops, let me take a second look.

I got distracted by all of the other issues (I am not familiar with working with unconstrained sketches).

In the Attached file if you turn off Body and turn on Cutter - I think you will see where the sweep self intersected.

Cutter.PNG

Also, your Sweep paths do not line up - I would have done this as one sweep with one contiguous path.

Intersect.PNG

I am sure that I could provide a solution that works - if the sketches were fully defined. But because they are not defined - I would have to read your mind to decipher your Design Intent. My crystal ball is at the shop for repair.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for looking at this.

I have no idea how you got a cutter view in there.  Did I miss something?

All I am trying to do is a block that I hang on my Aquarium that has a hole inside that I can push an airline though.

The end (on the long end) needs to be a 90-degree angle going out so that my airline will be horizontal which helps to make sure the air has an easy way out of the line.

I was able to do all until I try to get my path to do the change from vertical to horizontal. I just started with Fusion 360 2 days ago, so I am sure I might not understand the best practices for doing this yet.

I cleaned up some sketched and attached the new file, hopefully, you can lead me in the right direction on how to get this hole to turn...

Message 6 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  All I am trying to do is a block that I hang on my Aquarium that has a hole inside that I can push an airline though.

2. The end (on the long end) needs to be a 90-degree angle going out so that my airline will be horizontal which helps to make sure the air has an easy way out of the line.

@Anonymous wrote:

.. I can't really change the angle

2. But the angle in the file that you attached is not 90°?

1. You should have stated that in your original description - I thought this was the critical fix for the Max 737.  I will be back in a few minutes with the solution.

Oops, I see some yellow highlighted issues indicated in your Timeline, I will have to start over from scratch - this will take a bit longer.

Examine the Attached file.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

It’s close to 90, I am still not sure how that piece should have been done, maybe an arc? Sorry for not disclosing what this part is first, I will make certain in any future question I will specify that it is not any part of an airplane or at least it is not supposed to be one 🙂

Message 8 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous 

I attached one possible solution above in previous thread.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

I see you used an arc for the change of angle, was this the main reason for it to work?

Message 10 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

I could try finding a Spline that would work, but given the purpose of the design I wasn't motivated to solve a more complicated problem.  An arc was easier than a spline.  Now if you had said this was the fix for the Max 737...

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Excellent advise, thank you very much! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report