Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering and Freezing (Slow performance) since last update 2.0.13168?

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
FusionFan3000
2295 Views, 40 Replies

Stuttering and Freezing (Slow performance) since last update 2.0.13168?

Dear all, anyone else noticing this?

I'm not sure if it's since the last update, but only within the last 1 week or maybe 2 weeks have I noticed that Fusion360 stutters/lags or freezes in these situations:

Issues observed:

• When I middle click my mouse button and drag my mouse to orbit around my model, there is a 1/4th second delay/stutter, and then it starts orbiting, after which it is smooth.
  • When in Sketch view (even if it's a brand new document with no other files open), creating lines, clicking on points, etc. has a noticeable, consistent lag throughout. I feel like I'm using a Windows 98 computer to run Fusion360 (extreme over exaggeration, but essentially it's not smooth)
  • If a document I'm working on has a component that was updated elsewhere, and when I right click->"Update to Latest Version", the green loading bar that appears at the bottom right freezes, causing Fusion360 to crash. I have to open up the task manager and it takes several tries to End Process on Fusion360 before it closes. When I open Fusion360 again, thankfully it was able to save a recovery file, though it doesn't give me a crash report to send. The second time around, if I'm patient, the "update latest" will typically work.

Specs:

• Fusion360 version: 2.0.13168
  • Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64 (19044.1706)
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
  • Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 (I updated the driver yesterday to driver version 512.95 in hopes it would fix the issue, but the Fusion360 issues persisted before and after the driver update)
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Hard Drive: nvme SSD
  • Fusion360 automatically sets the DirectX level to DirectX 11. I have never changed it, so haven't bothered adjusting it (my thinking being, why should I change it if it's always worked fine thus far?)

Notes:

• All of these experiences are vastly different from what I have experienced with Fusion360 in the past, using the exact same files and computer. (I wouldn't say any of the files are extremely complex).
  • Additionally, to my knowledge, I haven't changed anything in my setup, and everything was fine prior to a week or more ago. (actually I hadn't used Fusion360 since May 17th, prior to that it was fine).
  • CPU usage is under 30% while using Fusion360
  • Memory usage caps at around 60% or 9.4GB used out of 16GB used
  • Restarting doesn't solve the problem
  • Disk Usage generally around 1%
  • Screencast attached, depicting stuttering while orbiting and lag while in sketch view

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit: in case the screencast isn't showing up, here is the link: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/screencast/Main/Details/ce5ad...

Labels (2)
40 REPLIES 40
Message 21 of 41
nkloski
in reply to: jasiekk7

The way I have been circumventing this problem is to start OBS Studio in as small a window as I can get that app to be and turning on the "start virtual camera" function.  As long as OBS is not minimized, Fusion is back to its old snappiness.  I lose some desktop space as I have to have OBS open but going back into Fusion and working smoothly is a good tradeoff, until this gets fixed.  

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 41
jasiekk7
in reply to: FusionFan3000

Maybe I do something wrong but it not helped to me.

It happen only if you want move screen, rotate or scale using middle mouse button. If you do it through icons (orbit, pan, zoom) there is not any delay so it's not hardware issue.

But there is solution with another software - not next screen recorder but another CAD soft.

Message 23 of 41
nkloski
in reply to: jasiekk7

I wouldn't give up on Fusion 360 just yet...I am sure the dev team will sort this out.  Yes, this is annoying but not something that should drive you away!  🙂    Out of all the other CAD programs, the amount of development engagement and desire to fix intermittent bugs like this one, Fusion 360's customer care team is really responsive.

Nick Kloski
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 24 of 41
napelazam

yo same here AUTOgoingintotheDUSK!

just that 360 is slow since for ever. has nothing to do with updates. its just f360...

15 fps lets go

clicking on a front etc, on the cube in top right = low fps

just doing things here and there in general in 360 = low fps

moving 360 window around = low fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lEI5MZJ0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvF7ccK09hQ

Message 25 of 41
nkloski
in reply to: nkloski

@TrippyLighting suggested a fix in another thread...copied from that thread:

TrippyLighting, you always continue to amaze me!  While you have not "solved" the issue, you have eliminated the problem 🙂

BAD PERFORMANCE

-NVidia control panel --> Set up GSYNC --> Enable G-SYNC / G-SYNC Compatible

-Enable for windowed and full screen mode

-Start Fusion, performance is poor whether in full screen or windowed mode

Close Fusion

NORMAL PERFORMANCE

-NVidia control panel --> Set up GSYNC --> Enable G-SYNC / G-SYNC Compatible

-Enable for full screen mode

-Start Fusion, performance is back to normal in all window modes

I wonder why that setting causes that weird behavior?

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 26 of 41
ejb.roboguy

Can confirm this works for me. I changed the individual program setting as to keep the rest of my programs g-synced, and works a treat.
Message 27 of 41
jasiekk7

my K4000 hasn't G-SYNC. My issue is only when I use middle mouse button - maybe my mouse shoud has G-SYNC...

Message 28 of 41
napelazam

i dont get what i should do? disable gsync for fusion? thats not possible. no settings for that
Message 29 of 41
ejb.roboguy
in reply to: napelazam

Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program settings -> Fusion 360 -> Monitor technology -> Fixed refresh
Message 30 of 41
napelazam
in reply to: ejb.roboguy

i dont have that T_T my monitor is just 50% nbidia compatible
Message 31 of 41
izaktokarski
in reply to: ejb.roboguy

Enabling g-sync for fusions settings in the nvidia control panel did the trick for me. Thanks all!

Message 32 of 41
thebutlah

Same issue, at least I think. This is my first time using fusion360. I have terrible lag while mousing over buttons, even in an empty project. I have really good hardware so this should not be happening (Ryzen 9 5900x and RTX 3090).

I can confirm that the lag when mousing over buttons stops when there is another window focused instead of fusion360

Message 33 of 41
thebutlah

I turned off g-sync for fusion360 in the nvidia control panel, and the mouse over button lag has disappeared. I assume this solves the rest of my performance problems too, but I have no point of comparison as this is my first time with f360

Message 34 of 41
adam2DJB6
in reply to: izaktokarski

it worked for me too, but still the program feels not snappy. I can't really put my finger on it. Moving the window used to be really smooth, but that still lags as hell.

Message 35 of 41

I am going to tag someone from the Fusion 360 team here @Phil.E . While the choppy window movement does not hinder me in my work, I do experience this particular issue as well.

EESignature

Message 36 of 41

Update : Did a little testing yesterday for about 2 hours after turning on the g-sync setting in the nvidia control panel. I drew up a basic and small fishing lure. The tool menu is much more responsive along with drawing, but it seems as if fusion is using the cpu hard when attempting to compute things such as the shell feature. At one point it had spiked to 100% with 1% gpu utilization with only fusion and task manager running at the time. I also attempted to drag the window around and it still had a rough time. Scrolling back in time to before the shell feature being added to my design also caused fusion to freeze up and give a black screen on the left hand side for about 5 seconds before completing the compute. The g-sync setting seems to just be a band aid on the wound for now. Somewhat manageable, but not ideal with the long compute times. Opening up larger, more complex designs also resulted in extended loading periods.

Message 37 of 41

Thank you @nkloski , @TrippyLighting , and @ejb.roboguy!

Either of these seems to mitigate (or eliminate? I can't tell) the stuttering issue:

A) NVidia control panel -> Set up GSYNC -> Enable G-SYNC / G-SYNC Compatible -> Enable for full screen mode

or

B) Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program settings -> Fusion 360 -> Monitor technology -> Fixed refresh

Fusion360 slowness stuttering workaround 2022.png

Can't tell if this is a workaround or a fix.

Either way, I really appreciate all the insight and everyone reporting their findings!

Message 38 of 41
Phil.E
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Thanks for the update.

(FUS-107751)

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 39 of 41
nkloski
in reply to: Phil.E

Thanks @Phil.E ...is there a place we can track that issueID until it is resolved?

Nick Kloski

EESignature

Message 40 of 41
phil_eichmiller

Not really.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report