Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL export file dialog not shown, then FUSION 360 crashes

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
663 Views, 9 Replies

STL export file dialog not shown, then FUSION 360 crashes

Hi,

the STL export is not working for me since several months, even not for models it worked in the past.

I am a hobby user, so I am not using FUSION 360 every week and using the https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ web interface for exporting the STL is a valid workaround, but slows down prototyping a lot.

I searched the internet and the forum and also tried the tipps mentioned in the following post (including a reinstall), but without success: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/no-file-dialogs-visible/m-p/9077342

In my case it behaves a bit differently than what I found in the other posts, so I describe it with a sample (vacuum hose adapter):

1. I right click the body to export and select "save as STL" so the dialog opens:

fusion_stl_export.png

• To make sure my model is valid I checked the preview mesh checkbox (doesn't make a difference, if I do or not)
  • I deselect the Output options, because I want to save it as a file and click "OK"
    (by the way, Output to Cura works fine, but I don't use Cura anymore and Output to Custom also doesn't work, because the dialog to open the application doesn't open)

2. The dialog closes and I would expect a file dialog to be shown as it did in the past, but nothing happens

• From now on the UI seems to be buggy
  • Trying to right click the body does not open the context menu anymore
  • I can not edit anything, whatever I click does not trigger any action

3. At some point the application crashes and I can fill out the Error Report (I did this already several month ago, so I don't repeat it every time):

fusion_stl_export_crash.png

I can reproduce this issue with all sort of models, even if I just create a simple cube.

I also recognized other file related issues in my UI, including "INSERT" > "Insert SVG":

fusion_insert_SVG.png

When I click the folder icon to open the file dialog, nothing happens.

One more thing worth to mention is that I have a NAS at home and I used to save my exported STL files to a network share on the NAS. A few month ago I replaced the NAS with a new one, so maybe the file dialogs try to open a path that is not available anymore. But as mentioned before, I already tried to reinstall the application and even made sure I delete all below %localappdata%\Autodesk.

Any help and ideas are appreciated, I don't know what else to try to fix this.

Thank you,

Christian

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
MoshiurRashid
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for posting. I actually can't tell you the exact solution but I can give you a bypass way for stl generation (in case you are in hurry)

Go to Tools> Make> 3d print.

Select the body. Then select a mesh refinement as much as detail as you need.

In the output UNCHECK the "3d print utility"

Click ok and save the stl.

Moshiur Rashid
Autodesk Certified Instructor
ACP | CSWE
https://www.autodesk.com/expert-elite/overview

LINKEDIN | FACEBOOK

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: MoshiurRashid

Hi MoshiurRashid,

thanks for your quick reply.

I didn't mention it, but it doesn't matter which way I call the dialog (right click body > Save STL, Tools > Make > 3D Print, File menu > 3D Print), but the result is always the same. Calling "3D Print" instead of "Save STL" shows a different dialog title, but I guess the dialog is technically the same.

Thanks anyway

Christian

Message 4 of 10
MoshiurRashid

Can you attach your file here?

File> Export> Attachment 

Moshiur Rashid
ACP | CSWE

LINKEDIN | FACEBOOK

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Unfortunatelly I can not export it from FUSION 360, because this seems to be also a file dialog that is not working ...

But I managed to export it from the web interface (getting it sent by mail), so I attached the model.

(I can also reproduce the problem by just creating a cube, so I don't think the model is the problem)

Message 6 of 10
MoshiurRashid

I can generate the stl very easily from the file and the design is also simple (see the attached).

I think you should try a Automatic Clean Uninstall , and reinstall it.

Moshiur Rashid
ACP | CSWE

LINKEDIN | FACEBOOK

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you a lot, I didn't know about the cleaning tool, but this actually helped!

Message 8 of 10
MoshiurRashid

If that solved your problem please hit "accept solution" so that other people can find the answer quickly.

If the problem is not solved, let us know more.

Moshiur Rashid
ACP | CSWE

LINKEDIN | FACEBOOK

Message 9 of 10
jsomville

I have the same issue. The export mesh dosent work. When clicking on the OK buton of the export mesh dialog. There should be a popup window but it is never displayed. The button stay enabled so I can click again and then the application crashes. This happens on every part of every project I have. Report here 328121059

The workaround is that I re-install Fusion. This is very annoying.

Please fix this bug so I can start using Fusion with more pleasure.

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
HughesTooling
in reply to: jsomville

This is an old bug that comes up if the last directory\drive you saved or opened a file from is no longer available. There is a fix in this post that might be less trouble that uninstall\install.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report