Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring support in simulation

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
info7JY2S
1072 Views, 16 Replies

Spring support in simulation

Hello,

is there a way to model a spring support in simulation mode? 

example: 

media%2F61e%2F61e09db7-d06e-4621-93d4-eda0c18c3a17%2Fphpqp6b0v

so far I can only find rigid supports (fixed, pin, frictionless etc...) no springs

Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: info7JY2S

@info7JY2S Yes. You have to calculate slide pressure. It's presumed as a weight tolerance. They have a tutorial for that. And there is still that problem with your picture. Because for a blind person it looks like someone would describe it something that looks like a circuit and electric connections. The diagram difference is wrong anyway. They use a cone to represent a spring.

R (1).jpeg

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

@info7JY2S When you use a slide tolerance simulator. You can literally leave it empty. You can just use a construct menu to create where your spring would be. Just make sure you are separating your components. Because construct objects are components. The default settings are buggy and sometimes are activated by default too. You can actually draw your own construction materials and you can make them look like a spring. And you can also manage a slider to follow  a bodies side or face instead of following a certain lined route. Something like that can actually be a requirement to get the results to rest like they're supposed to.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

I know it's important. And this question will be around for some time. It's just that this team was redirected really bad. Somebody wanted to know if Fusion 360 can simulate a guitar string.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

You can start here; it's called Event Simulation. 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=PRE-HOW-TO 

You have to at least plan an hour or two to enjoy this. 

I also downloaded a simple model here.

https://gallery.autodesk.com/fusion360/projects/vehicle-suspension 

I can't find the model inside Fusion samples for suspension. The user downloads are terrible. It's better than nothing but it has like 35 bodies for no reason.

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

This is why I don't do the simulations. It's a simple reason that it sounds complicated to get results from Autodesk.

This is a log from the second time I do this.

Spring, heavy paint v0: Simulation Model 1 - Study 2 - Event Simulation
_____ 2021-11-26 08:31:53 _____

Spring, heavy paint v0: Simulation Model 1 - Study 2 - Event Simulation
_____ 2021-11-26 08:31:53 _____
Document is being uploaded to cloud storage. Cloud job is pending.
Scheduling job.
Job scheduled successfully.
232363 Tetrahedra : 100.0% of elements (100.0% of volume)
Face Angle min: 0.0257, max : 180
Dihedral Angle min: 0.0381, max : 179
Worst shape ratio : 2.4e+03 on element 30759
Worst aspect ratio : 37.1 on element 18886, shortest edge: 1.96e-05, longest : 0.0215
Lowest collapse ratio : 0.000624 on element 30759
Worst Jacobian ratio : 1 on element 1
Base mesh: 383410 nodes, 232363 elements
Solver mesh: 383410 nodes, 232363 elements
Warning: ET10 has a ratio of Max/Min Max/Min characteristic element lengths 7.89e+04
Warning: ET10 has a ratio of Max/Min Max/Min characteristic element lengths 210
Warning: ET10 has a ratio of Max/Min Max/Min characteristic element lengths 110
Job has finished with errors. The Cloud Credits for this job will be refunded. Receiving results.
Error: The total wall-clock time for this simulation is estimated to exceed the allowable time limit of 12
hours. The job has been terminated and the cloud-credit charges will be refunded.
Cause: Autodesk Explicit wall - clock times are limited to 12 hours for Event Simulations runs on
the cloud.
Action : Reduce the model size(i.e.less mesh refinement) or shorten the duration.
Error: Solve module failure, Error: 1
Error: Solver Error
Error: An error occurred while solving the model.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

If you want here is a model of a simulation, I had to build myself and start myself. It just deforms the top of the spring. Maybe because it's a piece of a stainless-steel smashing structural steel at 35250 millimeters per second. Good luck getting the results from this file.

Spring, event light paint, no nose v11.png

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I'm still not sure about the simulation environment. Don't like to use credits. Would like to use my own computer.

But, I had to try the projectile impact. And this is what I mean about samples. It's all set up. And I was able to customize. Didn't even change the material. All I had to do was re-generate the mesh. Well. I did change the velocity. I did get the result on first try. Because it asked for the results that actually apply to this simulation. And it starts to get going on step 2. Judging from the file I got from sample. You would be able to load the simulation results after all.

Screenshot (34).png

Message 9 of 17
info7JY2S
in reply to: Anonymous

With all respect Endosamus and thanks for the extensive response, but my question isn't answered at all.

All I need is a spring type support for a (preferably) static simulation. this is a feature present in every FEM sorftware I'm aware of, except Fusion...

I don't want to model a physical spring, I just want add a spring type support for a simulation. It's a rigid support but with a one dimensional stiffness (in N/mm).

even free programs like framedesign.letsconstruct.nl and LISA FEM have this option.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

@info7JY2S you're not creating any action for that question. This app has a simple simulation environment. And you can't rely on this program for design perimeter. Try Inventor Pro. Or maybe Architecture design is what you are looking for. If you want to bloat a building. Or simulate an earthquake. Design a question if you're not satisfied with the answer. You just asked for paperwork. 

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

If you're just trying to create an animated course. Then you have to make an animation. And this is not the app to do it. And if you want to add droid numbers to make it look scientific. That's pretty much your question. A piece of scribble paper. Start white!

Message 12 of 17
info7JY2S

Thus far no real answer to my question....

Maybe my question is not clear: I need a simulation that uses a axial lineair spring as a support. However, I can't find a way to simulate this spring type constraint.

Knipsel.PNG

To clarify: I DON'T WANT TO PHYSICALLY MAKE A 3D MODEL OF A SPRING. reason is that I want to be able to "play" with the "k-value" to find an optimum. Modeling a real spring makes this a lot more time consuming.

Message 13 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

@info7JY2S wrote:

Thus far no real answer to my question....

Maybe my question is not clear: 

To clarify: I DON'T WANT TO PHYSICALLY MAKE A 3D MODEL OF A SPRING. 

Actually, your question was perfectly clear from the original post.

I would use a Spring Force in Dynamic Simulation environment of Autodesk Inventor Professional.  I am not sure Fusion has the functionality to do this.

Are you a student? If yes, you can get Inventor Professional for free and I can walk you through setting up this trivially basic problem.

Message 14 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

@info7JY2S 

Were did you go?

Message 15 of 17
info7JY2S
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

So the solution is: "Buy Inventor"?

great...

I'm no student and the project I'm working on doesn't have enough revenue to justify an inventor license for this one calculation. i was hoping this "basic" FEM functionality was available in Fusion. As said before, most free FEM tools have an axial spring support built in. The problem is that I can't import my fusion model into these programs.

Message 16 of 17
TheCADWhisperer

@info7JY2S 

I know how to do it easily in Inventor Professional, but do not have enough experience in Fusion 360 to know if it is possible.

One problem is you posted your question in the wrong forum.  If you read the description of this forum area - this is the area to post bugs.

You should have posted your question over here

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/bd-p/124

this is where the Fusion 360 analysis developers hang out.

Message 17 of 17
info7JY2S
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

thanks for the advice. I'll post it in the suggested part of the forum 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report