Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch won't extrude "Profile Is Not Valid"

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jakelb31
522 Views, 7 Replies

Sketch won't extrude "Profile Is Not Valid"

When I got to extrude my sketch, I get an error that the profile is not valid? I have not seen this error before. The sketch is closed. Not sure what else to look for.

https://a360.co/40cUWLr

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
g-andresen
in reply to: jakelb31

Hallo,

your link is empty

Please share this way

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach it to the post.

günther

Message 3 of 8
jakelb31

Here is the attached file.

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is likely due to lag of some constraints in the relative complicated sketch. The problem is where and what constraint to add is unclear. It will take a very long time to figure that out without assuring the Extrude will work.

Here is a simple workaround. Go to Surface tab -> select Patch -> pick the profile. A patch surface will be created. The simply extrude the patch surface profile. It should work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
g-andresen

Hi,

open in ACAD and saved as DXF 2018 > imported into Fusion

denver broncos.png

günther

Message 6 of 8
jzeveney
in reply to: johnsonshiue

HI Johnson, thanks for the tip! However, the latest version is working differently and appears to not working as good as the previous!.

re:"Go to Surface tab -> select Patch -> pick the profile. A patch surface will be created. The simply extrude the patch surface profile"  Yes this works, however I get the same error when now attempting to create a flange now.

Why create a flange you ask... .Great question I create a flange as the file export to DXF function has basically never worked correctly.  When I create a flange and the flatten and then export to DXF that works 100% of the time.

I have created literally 100's maybe even a 1,000 by now of images like attached. All are image traces from Adobe Illustrator exported as DXF. imported to Fusion360, completed, flanged, flattened, then exported to DXF for Laser cutting. 

Thanks in advanced.

Update: 

Guess I was working to many hours yesterday so I wanted to advise on my issue if it may help others.

Issue was result of 'me' not reducing the Stroke from 1 pt to 0.01 pt in Illustrator.

This resulted in multiple paths extremely close paths together 0.0069mm  or less

It seems this and other smaller overlaying paths resulted in the inability to Flange the sketch.

After reducing the stroke to 0.01 pt and exporting to dxf from Illustrator I was able to Flange as normal.

Message 7 of 8
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: jzeveney

@jzeveney wrote:

Why create a flange you ask... .Great question I create a flange as….

That’s the question I would ask, as a Flange isn’t necessary.

Simply start a New Sketch

p for Project.

Select the face.

Right click on Sketch in the browser and select Save As dxf.

Message 8 of 8
jzeveney
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi The CADWhisperer,

You are correct and that option work better than the file, export.....

That being said flange, flatten, save to dxf works 100% of the time for me.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report