Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation only allows steel for material choice

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
488 Views, 7 Replies

Simulation only allows steel for material choice

I modeled an object and changed the material type to ABS in the design workspace but when I switch to simulation it changes the object back to steel and the only choice in the materials library is steel. It also says in parenthesis under study material (same as model). How do I get this to run the simulation as ABS?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

It may depend on where the ABS material was applied - at the root level, child component level, or body level.  If you can share your design, it should be easy to determine what is going on.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Here’s a copy of the file. I believe this was done at the component level. It was basically finished before I set the material type. Still need to do the gussets but wanted to take a look at the stresses first. Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 8
jeff_strater

@Anonymous - thanks for the model.  It looks as if you have just changed the Appearance, not the Physical Material:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.41.03 PM.png

Instead, use the Physical Material command to set the material to ABS:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 1.41.33 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

….also, in the FEA environment you can copy the study as many times as needed and override the Material in each study without having to change the material back in the Model environment.  This is useful in comparing various materials for the same geometry and then make a decision for what material to ultimately use.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks! As you can probably tell I'm new to designing in CAD and this was my first attempt at a stress analysis. I didn't know the look and the material could be different.

Message 8 of 8
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't know the look and the material could be different.

I always tell everybody that I have a block (of wood material) that has the appearance of Gold that I will sell to you at half the price of Gold.  Nobody has ever taken me up on this offer, perhaps because they get the difference between Material and Appearance.  This trips up most folks new to analysis.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report