Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save a imported assembly as a single part

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
isocam
187 Views, 1 Reply

Save a imported assembly as a single part

Can anybody help?

If I download a step file, from a part supplier, that is an assembly then Fusion, correctly, imports the step file without any problems!

However,

The Fusion 360 file is still classed as an assembly, therefore, when you insert it into a main assembly and try to move it as a single file only the part selected moves. All the rest do not move with it.

To get around this problem, I have to ask an Inventor user to create a "Derived" part of the assembly and save the assembly as a ".ipt" file then I can import it into Fusion as one entity.

Is it possible to import a assembly into Fusion as a single part file?

Many thanks in advance!

Darren

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeff_strater
in reply to: isocam

The short answer is "no".  There is no way to perform an Inventor-like Derived Part to make a "part" from an "assembly".

However, to answer the underlying problem here:  "when you insert it into a main assembly and try to move it as a single file only the part selected moves. All the rest do not move with it".  The way to address this is to create a Rigid Group in the sub-assembly to make sure that all the components are rigidly constrained together.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report