Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reference Components not updating positions

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
benNH94D
346 Views, 4 Replies

Reference Components not updating positions

My project is arranged where I build individual components in their own file and then insert them into a more complex design and then finally inserting them into a complete large design.  So I have a file called "wheel" that's a wheel and another called "axle" that's an axle and then an assembled file of a wheel and axle.

When I make changes to a component the parent component prompts me to sync which i do and see the new components.  It seems like the origins are wrong because the child components parts are in the wrong position.

Here is an assembly of a robot wheel, electromagnetic clutch and motor:

Screenshot 2022-03-10 090524.png

And here it is inserted into a larger machine.  Note the axle is showing because the wheel is moved away from the clutch.   If i want to see the correct image I have to delete it and re-insert it but that's a real problem for more complex parts that take a lot of time to orient correctly.  Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Screenshot 2022-03-10 093228.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeff_strater
in reply to: benNH94D

first, a recommendation:  You should use Joints to relate components to each other, not Move (or even Align).  Joints will always come across an Insert of a sub-assembly into a higher level assembly.  Component positions (as changed by Move Component, Align Component, or Drag Component) are not guaranteed to come across.  The explanation of why is a bit complex.  I can elaborate further if needed.

second, in your wheel/axle subassembly, is that design in a "capture position pending" state?

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.35.33 AM.png

if your design is in this state, component positions are not captured, and definitely will not come across with Insert.  That is the most common cause of these symptoms.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 5
benNH94D
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks! I'm just learning about joints and i spend a lot of time aligning things so that's probably what i'm missing.

Message 4 of 5
benNH94D

oh my goodness - mind blown, level up! THANK YOU

Message 5 of 5
Phil.E

This is a recording that Jeff and I made for Autodesk University. The handout PDF has a lot more info than is contained in the video. Good luck!

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Joints-Fusion-360-Guide-Assembly-Position-and-Mot...

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report