Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project angled edge onto plane (like casting shadow)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
donaldstjohn
125 Views, 2 Replies

Project angled edge onto plane (like casting shadow)

Hello.  I am very new to Fusion, and don't know the jargon well enough, so forgive my ignorance as I learn.  I will try to describe in simple geometric terms.

Imagine a cylinder whose base is the XY plane, the central axis of which is in the Z direction.  Slice off the top of the cylinder at a 20 degree angle.  I want to project that top angled edge onto the XY plane, along the Z axis, at a 15 degree angle as if I were shining a light straight down the Z axis and casting a shadow on the XY plane.  The resultant shadow should be eliptical.

I was able to create the cylinder and sloped top face, but am stuck on how to project a shadow.  It's supposed to represent a draft angle so I can know what the bottom outside shape will look like.  I attached my cylinder drawing, and a crude sketch of what I'm talking about.  Greatly appreciate any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
davebYYPCU
in reply to: donaldstjohn

Can get that with the Surface > Sweep Tool.

Sweep the top ellipse profile, down the Axial Line, with taper angle (15).

Extract the projected ellipse with Project > Intersect in a new sketch.

desdb.PNG

Might help....

Message 3 of 3

You might be able to use the draft tool, there's an option for parting line draft.

Select like this.

image.png

Then add draft.

image.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report