Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with project Data Panel search

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
eldonb
427 Views, 11 Replies

Please help with project Data Panel search

I know I have a several Fusion 360 project files where the Project Name contains the characters "gear", but I can not seem to fine a "search term" that will find them. I have tried "*gear*", "gear", "+gear+", "[gear]", etc.

Nothing seems to work, does Fusion 360 supports general Data Panel search terms? If so, how?

Thanks,

Eldonb

--

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Thanks for using Fusion. 

I guess you are doing it from the wrong place. Search is for the data and if you are doing it for the projects use the filter mentioned at the bottom of the data panel.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 8.24.23 PM.png.  Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 8.28.16 PM.png

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
 Sr. Quality Engineer in Fusion
Autodesk
LinkedIn
Message 3 of 12
eldonb
in reply to: eldonb

Doesn't the Filter just limits what is already in the Data Panel list?   Which is not what I require.  And isn't "Filter" only available for the top level? I do not see a Filter option for any subfolders.

I need a way to find a project within many folders that has the characters "gear" in the name.  I have many-many projects/folders and I have forgotten where I put a project with the name of "HypDriveGear_01", I would like some way to find it within the many folders and subfolders.

If there is a search method that I could use?

Thanks,

Eldonb

--

Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the response. Are you trying to find a file or folder or Project?  The Filter i suggested is for the Projects it only works for the Project. and Search on the above is for file search. It does have multiple options to find in all data or find in a specific project. 

If you do not remember where you have kept the file, select all data and then enter the file name. It should work if it is there in the nested folders. 

Screenshot 2021-06-22 at 8.30.43 PM.png

Also, FYI.. Fusion does have an option to search in the recent data. if you have recently used the model, start searching it in your "My Recent" folder. 

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
Autodesk
LinkedIn
Message 5 of 12

I must be doing something wrong, or there is more magic to search than I have.

See the following two screen shots: the first is a subfolder, where there are several Files Names that contain the character "gear". But, when I search for the characters "gear" only one file is listed as shown in the second screen shot.

Unfortunately, the fill I am looking for was created long ago, and I do not remember its name, but I am sure it contained  the characters "gear".  The screen shots are just examples of a search. The file I am looking for is more than likely in an upper folder, but Search does not work as I would expect.  So, now I just need to find it somewhere within Fusion 360, and not having much luck with the Search. 

I am sure the file I am looking for is in another folder somewhere on Fusion 360, but I can not find a method (or magic) to find it.

Thanks for any help,

Eldonb

--

Search01.PNGSearch02.PNG

Message 6 of 12

I did try the same, and I noticed that for the files you mentioned, names are "hypgear", 'hypgear1" etc., so it was not considering "gear" in that way. so try out with the names " hyp gear" "hyp gear1". this way you can search for the Key-term "gear".

And definitely, we will take the feedback of improving the search functionality in Fusion.

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
Autodesk
LinkedIn
Message 7 of 12

Using a search term that starts with a few character of a known file name will list as expected, as in your example for "Hyp gear",  but in my case I have forgotten the name file of the file and therefore I do not know the first few characters of the file name, all I remember is the file contains the character "gear", and therefore (again) from my perspective the Fusion 360 Project file is now LOST and not available for my continued work.

But, WAIT, . . . the Fusion 360 design file that I was looking for was printed on my 3D Printer many months ago. The 3D Printer Server keeps a log of printed files with their path names, a simple regular-expression search on the 3D Printer Logs found the desired file name !!  In this case the Fusion 360 file name and folder path name I was looking for is "./Lab/HarmonicGear/EldonbRedGear_01".  Now I will remember that maintaining the 3D Printer Server Log will be useful for future Fusion File Name Searches.

I will be looking forward to a "real" file/project Search Function within Fusion 360.

Thanks,

Eldonb

--

Message 8 of 12

Thanks for the response. 

I was just saying that, if your file names (for your future designs) are in format of "hyp gear", then you can search it with "gear" keyword. 

i was just suggesting the workaround, word you are searching for should be a separate word (not like "hypeGear" or "hyp_gear" but it should be "hyp gear 1", "hyp gear 2"). 

Like said, we definitely work to improve the searching with more redux patterns like suggested. 

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
Autodesk
LinkedIn
Message 9 of 12

OH, . . . I think I understand now, the F360 file name search method uses a space as delimiter for the search value, and therefore, if I change my project names to include "spaces" a project/file search will succeed as expected. I tried it, and it works as expected with as little as two characters and the assumed leading "space".

Because I am from the Unix world (with 99% of my computers are Unix) "spaces" are not recommended for use in filename and/or project names. To avoid potential unknown problems with customer file name usage, I had long ago adopted the typical Unix "CamalCase" naming convention (no spaces) for engineering file names, transfers and project publication.

For now, as a workaround, I will consider changing my Naming Convention to include "spaces" for use with Fusion 360 Projects.

Thanks for your insight, feedback and consideration,

Eldonb

--

Message 10 of 12

@eldonb, Glad that you find the workaround useful. Please click Like and Accept Solution as it would help others to find answers more quickly 🙂 

Happy Designing.. 

Regards,

Sasi

Sasikanth Kollipara 
Autodesk
LinkedIn
Message 11 of 12
terryHCEB7

We need a way in which to search the data panel, I have hundreds and hundreds of files and iterative designs that are filed and categorized within client folders and sub-grouped into product folders

As an example we design and build signage for the Airlines (think of any one of them), and there will be several types of products that go together in to a new marketing campaign, I may begin with one type of design and it will completely change over several months of work, and then have to go back and reincorporate a previous idea into a new line up.

Or we will begin work on an a new design without any designated client that we may work up over several months, that may or may not amount to a production unit.

There is no way of finding anything unless you remember the exact location and name it was filed under.

Yes using PO's would be a great solution,  but our company doesn't do that.

Its been a losing battle, but anyway, there are reasons and needs that aren't being addressed.

Since I'm being greedy how about drag and drop in the data panel?

Please help a brother out!

Message 12 of 12
urmo.koiv

Still no improvement on this? This drives me insane! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report