Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help connecting 2 different faces…

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
apotheosisdetailing
527 Views, 11 Replies

Need help connecting 2 different faces…

So I’m very new to Fusion 360. I actually designed this in Tinkercad and imported it into 360. I am making an intake runner manifold to convert my car to individual throttle bodies. It’s a pretty complicated design. I have the height set and the distances set on the lower and upper sections, I just need to figure out how to connect the highlighted faces with a smooth object. I’m basically making a “tube”. The bottom is oval and the top is round and as you can see the “holes” are oddly shaped. I’ve tried the loft feature by selecting the 2 faces, but it’s not working for me. Can anyone help?

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Please attach your model.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 12

Here is the file I'm working on.

Message 4 of 12

Try your attachment again, it did not show up.  You should be able to see it in the Attachment section before you post.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 12

It should be there now.

Message 6 of 12

The reason you cannot loft between them is because of the segmented "sides" of each end body.  This of course came from the conversion from a mesh.  The Conversion of these segmented sides to un-segmented "sketches" is a tedious process.  Even after all of this the loft between the bodies cannot be Combined due to the, again, segmented surfaces of the bodies.  I did one to show you but I would definitely recommend modeling this from scratch.  You can use the mesh body as a guide.  Model is attached.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 12

I opened the model and it looks great! is there any way possible you might be able to walk me through how you did that? 

Message 8 of 12

I can, but it is time consuming.  Before I do create the video, I want to hear you say that once it is done, not being able to join the bodies together will not matter to you.  I do not want to waste my time and then you throw it away due to this limitation.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 9 of 12

So as of now, if I get the drawing complete, it wouldn’t be a single piece? If I tried to print it it wouldn’t work? If I draw it from scratch in 360 instead of importing it that would fix the issue?

Message 10 of 12

If you mean 3D Printing, when you say "print", correct, it would not print as a single piece.  If you model it from scratch, it will be a continuous body so there would be no issue.

I am not saying, at this point, that there is "no way" to connect the bodies in what I did.  I spent a good deal of time on what I sent you so I did not want to work on the combining problem.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 11 of 12

Yes, I’d like to print a prototype to make sure it works and if it does I will print the final version from carbon fiber filament.

Well, I guess I can re-design it from scratch in 360 if you’re able to show me how to make the design between the 2 parts so I can draw it all at once, if you think that’ll be the best way.

Message 12 of 12

Walk up the timeline, order of operations does matter.

So much symmetry here was not so bad from scratch.  Ribs are fudged.

lositDB.PNG

Tip: Use native sketches, and Loft body faces.

Happy to answer questions.

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report