Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS with Magic Mouse

53 REPLIES 53
SOLVED
Message 1 of 54
jody.whitlock
39046 Views, 53 Replies

macOS with Magic Mouse

So running macOS Sierra (10.12.6) on an iMac with a Magic Mouse (first version) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get navigation to work.  I'm coming from a Windows 10 system where I run Fusion360 because of this navigation issue, but I'm hoping I can solve this so that I can use Fusion360 on whichever device I want.

I've seen a ton of posts that are similar but recommend some third party tool that hasn't been supported in a couple of years and the API it references is depreciated, so that's not a viable option.

Is there anyway to have a key modifier to allow for a Mac mouse of any kind to work as a navigation for pan and orbit?  I don't think it would be all that difficult since Windows has the Shift+Middle Mouse for orbit, and Middle Mouse for pan.  Maybe Option+Mouse click for pan and Control+Mouse click for orbit?  I don't see those being used for anything else.

53 REPLIES 53
Message 21 of 54

Yeah, I don't know how they prioritize things, but ignoring something that
makes basic actions in their product cumbersome for so many users is absurd.

For what it's worth, I use something called Better Touch Tool that lets you
create a region in the middle of the Magic Mouse that acts as a middle
mouse button when tapped. Unfortunately, it's difficult to reliably tap
the right spot. I ended up printing a tiny label with a single '-' so that
I can tap it more reliably.
Message 22 of 54
rmh
Observer
in reply to: jody.whitlock

I am starting to lean Fusion360, and have run into this issue with the Apple Magic Mouse.   Sounds like AutoDesk doesn't want to support the Mac.  I am not going to get a different mouse, and don't want to add some third party package to my Mac.

Message 23 of 54
rmh
Observer
in reply to: rmh

I tried right clicking on my MagicMouse and got this.  Not perfect, but workable.   Unfortunate, it's not documented anywhere I could find.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 3.13.32 PM.png

Message 24 of 54

Autodesk could fix this easily if they wanted, I conclude they don't want to.  Fusion is the best solution for CAM and parametric modeling on the Mac, but it is still a graphics dog at heart, although M1 is so fast it is actually pretty performant even with Autodesk's poor implementation of the graphics SDK. So why would Autodesk even develop such a program and give it away for free? To forestall the development of a cross-platform open-source CAM and parametric modeler comparable to Blender, which could threaten to kill their whole business for good if it ran on Windows.  So they keep Fusion just good enough to work on Mac, so that all the schools and free sites will install it, but mostly just to raise the competitive bar for for the open source community. Thus zero interest in fixing problems that would get done in 3 minutes if it was Blender, but might prove embarrassingly better than their high-cost Windows apps when running on an M1 mac with magic input powers.

Message 25 of 54
tijuanakez

I find this to be ridiculously short sighted.

1. Provide a MacOS compatible version of your software. For Macs. That's right, computers that come with track pads or a Magic Mouse.

2. Lock the most essential features to a button the Mac users don't have.

Does any one else find this utterly bonkers?

Has anyone at Autodesk used a Magic Mouse? They're awesome. 

Message 26 of 54
davec

More crickets, my god, how hard can this be to implement???

Message 27 of 54
TrippyLighting
in reply to: davec

I found the magic mouse an ergonomic disaster for CAD work. I've tried this for an entire year (that's 5-6 years ago) using a couple of software tools such as Better Touch Tool etc.

There is simply no alternative for a click-scroll wheel when working with CAD. YMMV

EESignature

Message 28 of 54
davec

That's certainly one opinion. 

Message 29 of 54

That's interesting, @TrippyLighting. My "milage" is varied; I've had the exact opposite experience. When my scroll-wheel mouse gave up the ghost five years ago, I switched to the Magic Mouse. I use it exclusively and extensively for hours a day in a variety of design and image editing software. I find it to be the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. My gripe is with Fusion's lack of support for Magic Mouse gestures.

While I will accept using different hardware is a solution to this problem, it is not the solution this thread is seeking. Other developers have software which supports the gestures the Magic Mouse is capable of. It would be great if Autodesk would, too. For what it's worth, the number of Magic Mouse users is likely to increase now that they come standard with new desktop Macs.

Message 30 of 54
rxhanson
in reply to: rxhanson

Since there's still a lot of unrest on this topic, I think it is worthwhile to mention that Apple does not provide a supported way for third parties to listen to touch input on a Magic Mouse. If Autodesk were to build support for touch based Magic Mouse gestures into Fusion 360 based on Apple's private, undocumented framework (the only way to do so), Apple could suddenly stop providing access or change this framework in the next macOS release. Additionally, this private framework usage comes with no guarantees from Apple and therefore something built on it might not work the same way for every user. Apple has put third parties in an awkward situation with the Magic Mouse.

For anyone just looking for a middle click on the Magic Mouse that works in Fusion 360, I created an app called Middle. It's not free, but it is simpler and cheaper than BetterTouchTool, and I have done a decent amount of testing with it in Fusion 360. It has a 7 day free trial.

Message 31 of 54
davec
in reply to: rxhanson

As a former Apple engineer I can understand the reluctance to use private API. However, you have keyboard setups for Inventor and others, at least give us a method to map keys to simulate pan, orbit, etc other than the function keys. While your at it, why not give us the ability to remap all the functions to keys we prefer.
Message 32 of 54

How is this STILL an issue? Please just add a way to add custom shortcut keys to Pan and Orbit and the issue is resolved for the most part!

Message 33 of 54
it-infoEAQZW
in reply to: Anonymous

yep, it is a pain in the ... BUT the tool MIDDLE makes it comfortable with the magic mouse.

TWO finger click = PAN, Release .. done ... so easy to quickly readjust the view / the position of the object.

When the cursor is within the orbiting area on the grid ... still TWO finger click = PAN BUT additional holding the SHIFT key ==> ORBITING.

Release key done ... press Key Orbiting so ... easy switch betwenn Pan and Orbit ... sooo one can inspect or change side easily to e.g. define Fillets etc.

Message 34 of 54

It was 2018, 5 years after do we have a clue?

Message 35 of 54
paolo.protti
in reply to: giacomo_sacc

Just buy a different mouse for Fusion360, it will be cheap and convenient.

Message 36 of 54

Even cheaper and easier, I’ve stopped using auto desk products.
Message 37 of 54

We appreciate your particularly helpful and contribution. Well done!

EESignature

Message 38 of 54
davec
in reply to: nicholascallen

Likewise, I no longer use Fusion and let my subscription lapse. For now, I use OnShapewhich meets my needs.
Message 39 of 54
ctgriffith

Just adding my vote here: as a newcomer to Fusion 360, it boggles my mind (!) that this very capable and highly-praised application provides such lousy support for Apple's Magic Mouse. Autodesk Software Team: how about just adding an option for this device in the Preferences menu—or, at least allow users to set some of their own shortcuts for pan/orbit/zoom? Are you really that unconcerned with supporting such a huge community of creatives? Is it necessary to force everyone to purchase and use a three-button mouse in order to do CAD successfully? Unbelievable.

Message 40 of 54
TrippyLighting
in reply to: ctgriffith

@ctgriffith wrote:

Just adding my vote here: as a newcomer to Fusion 360, it boggles my mind (!) that this very capable and highly-praised application provides such lousy support for Apple's Magic Mouse. Autodesk Software Team: how about just adding an option for this device in the Preferences menu—or, at least allow users to set some of their own shortcuts for pan/orbit/zoom? Are you really that unconcerned with supporting such a huge community of creatives? Is it necessary to force everyone to purchase and use a three-button mouse in order to do CAD successfully? Unbelievable.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. For anything 3D modeling related, the magic mouse is simply the wrong device. Period! End of Story!

I've used MacOS since 2007 and tried for an entire year to live with the magic mouse for CAD.

I've used CAD and 3D modeling software for over 30 years.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report